Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

East Coast to hawaii

Ancadgel
Explorer C

When I try to book rdu to Koa it says call Southwest ( can't be booked online). So I called and the person said they couldn't book that either...that id have to book a one way to West Coast then another from there to Hawaii. But they also said I'd have to exit and renter security again therefore I need at least 2 hours in between flight. This seems crazy...why would I need to exit? I'm not planning on checking bags. I was planning on catching the Hawaii flight from Denver bc I can do a nonstop from RDU there. 

6 REPLIES 6

Re: East Coast to hawaii

dfwskier
Aviator A

1) You were told wrong about having to go thru security a second time.  If you have a boarding pass for the second flight, then just go to the gate of the second flight.

2) The likely problem you are running in to is a rule that Southwest will not book a flight that involved more than one plane change. You'd change in Denver, and then probsbly change again to get to KOA.

I hate to say this, but sometimes it just makes sense to fly a different airlin

SoCalFlyer97
Frequent Flyer A

@Ancadgel wrote:

When I try to book rdu to Koa it says call Southwest ( can't be booked online). So I called and the person said they couldn't book that either...that id have to book a one way to West Coast then another from there to Hawaii. But they also said I'd have to exit and renter security again therefore I need at least 2 hours in between flight. This seems crazy...why would I need to exit? I'm not planning on checking bags. I was planning on catching the Hawaii flight from Denver bc I can do a nonstop from RDU there. 

Hello-

@dfwskier is correct. A single oneway flight itinerary cannot include more than one plane change. Another airline may be able to get you to your destination more directly but if you don't mind paying two separate fares and having both a connection layover and a stopover as part of your journey (I like to stop over at intermediate places too along the way), you can still fly SW but your stopover time in between two itineraries may be a little tight to complete in a single day in the event of a delay. 

Would something like this work? 

1. RDU-DEN-LAS

2. LAS-KOA

1st Connecting Flight: RDU-DEN-LAS

RDU-DEN-LAS-KOA (1).JPG

Second Leg Non-Stop: LAS-KOA

RDU-DEN-LAS-KOA (2).JPG

Regarding going through TSA, when you called SW Customer Service, it is likely the rep didn't know that you were flying carry-on only; if you're flying carry-on only and not checking any bags (provided you're able to get overhead bin space on the RDU-DEN-LAS leg of your trip), there's no need for you to return to landside at LAS if you do two separate one-ways. However, if you don't have A-List, I would ensure you check-in right at the T24 mark and if you get a deep-in-the-B position for either the RDU-DEN or DEN-LAS segments, I would purchase Upgraded Boarding to ensure you will not need to gate-check your carry-on in the event the flight is full and bin space runs out.

As mentioned, the connections will likely be a little tight and risky if there's a delay for the RDU-DEN-LAS segment. If I did something like this and flew exclusively SW, I would likely plan on spending the day and night at LAS and complete the LAS-KAO leg the next day so I don't get unexpectedly stuck in Las Vegas should I miss the connection to Hawaii.

Ancadgel
Explorer C
Solution

Thanks for the response! I was going through DEN bc I can get there nonstop arriving at 650am. I was trying to do the 830am departure, but there is a 11:15am also. Thoughts on this? Since my first flight is nonstop I should be fine with the 830 right, especially with only carryon? I'm using points so this whole trip is free! I will have to stay overnight coming back but really wanted to get there in one day. 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Ancadgel wrote:

Thanks for the response! I was going through DEN bc I can get there nonstop arriving at 650am. I was trying to do the 830am departure, but there is a 11:15am also. Thoughts on this? Since my first flight is nonstop I should be fine with the 830 right, especially with only carryon? I'm using points so this whole trip is free! I will have to stay overnight coming back but really wanted to get there in one day. 

With the expectation that everything is on-time especially early in the morning I'd want to leave myself an hour to make the connection and grab a snack, bathroom, coffee (Try the Dazbog). 

I don't see the 6:45 a.m. arrival but in general if you can get an hour or so that's a good amount. 

Do the 11:15 a.m. if you want to do a sit down breakfast, stretch your legs a bit, etc. Unless you had lounge access it would be a bit excessive for ~4 hours layover.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Ancadgel
Explorer C

Thanks so much! I don't fly much at all so I appreciate it! 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Ancadgel wrote:

They are probably assuming you would check bags, or else it's overnight and the airport may be closed depending where that connection was. (If it was DEN or OAK they are open 24/7)

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.