Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Lincoln Nebraska

JoeLefler80
Explorer C

Lincoln Nebraska is a very under utilized airport that could really use another provider. We have the University of Nebraska here and several smaller colleges. We have to commute an hour to get flights most of the time to fly any where but Denver and and Minneapolis. Even these flights are few.   Southwest could definitely do a decent business even\ with just 2 or 3 flights a day flying in and out of Lincoln through Midway or St. Louis.  Many people in Nebraska drive through Lincoln to Omaha an hour away to catch flights. I know I am not alone when wishing there was a local option. 

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Lincoln Nebraska

dfwskier
Aviator A

I suggest that you provide your suggestion directly to the airline. To do so click on "contact us" below and proceed.

5280Av8r
Frequent Flyer C

From a business model perspective, I'm not sure if Lincoln works. Southwest has historically been a point-to-point carrier. Their business model has kind of shifted to where each airport essentially needs to have at least one point to point route and one connecting route.

Example(s):

• Steamboat Springs, CO is served by Denver, Dallas and Nashville where Dallas and Nashville are the point-to-point routes and Denver is the connecting option.
  • Syracuse, NY is served by Baltimore, Orlando and Tampa where Orlando and Tampa are the point-to-point routes and Baltimore is the connecting option.

I feel that with Lincoln would still be overshadowed by Omaha and there wouldn't be any significant point-to-point option. If anything, maybe service to Denver and St. Louis. If there was enough seasonal demand for a nonstop route to Las Vegas or Phoenix then it could be more likely. 

Southwest did say at one point there were 50 potential airports they could add. Since then, they've added several, which would drop this figure into the 30's. Anyway, keep letting them know by commenting on Social Media and using the "Contact Us" below as stated already.

DEN (CLT) Based | Aviation Enthusiast | Full of Passion for Southwest

floridaguy
Aviator C

Southwest has no interest in Lincoln NE.  

5280Av8r
Frequent Flyer C

@floridaguy wrote:

Southwest has no interest in Lincoln NE.  

Once again, you have no evidence of that. Let people make their suggestions. Feel free to provide subjective feedback, but please do not share these seemingly objective statements.

DEN (CLT) Based | Aviation Enthusiast | Full of Passion for Southwest

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

I don't think there is enough traffic to take from United to make it worthwhile. 

DancingDavidE_0-1704479980206.png

Taking people from OMA is great except if those are already Southwest customers then it doesn't make sense to spend a bunch of money to start a station at LNK if the passengers are already using OMA.

Your other point driving an hour to OMA - that's about how far I have to go time-wise living in the Chicago suburbs to get to MDW. I'd consider hour-long trip to the airport to be normal for many cities.

As @5280Av8r pointed out the key here would be identifying what the best point to point route would be - where are people from LNK going now that they have trouble going on United?

Otherwise Southwest would likely connect this location to Denver and Houston the same as United does. 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.