Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Nervous Flyer

AGrubbs33
Explorer C

Hello everyone,

I am on here trying to silence my fears of flying. I am 39 years old and only flew ONCE to New York back in 2012. That was the LONGEST 3 hours of my life! Now I want to take my 2 boys to California in July but AGAIN the fear of flying is so crippling its stopping me from buying the tickets. I have the stupidest fears that 1. I cannot change planes because once I get comfortable with that first plane then that's it, asking me to change planes is like asking me to cut off my left arm or die. 2. If I bring my kids on a plane and it goes down then I am robbing them of having any kind of future. 3. I get on a plane with a pilot who is having a bad day or depressed or just goes crazy 4. Another planes crosses in front of us or is heading right into us and NOONE sees it in time, 5. Will not fly over water, so any international traveling is out of the picture for me unless I am drugged or drunk, 6. If I move out the plane seat to go to the restroom, the plane will tip or unbalance

Pathetic huh? I need help! Anyone can help calm this overbearing fear I have?  Talk some good old fashion sense into me? Tell me I am completely nuts and have seen Final Destination one too many times? I sure would appreciate it 😄

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Nervous Flyer

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@AGrubbs33 wrote:

Hello everyone,

I am on here trying to silence my fears of flying. I am 39 years old and only flew ONCE to New York back in 2012. That was the LONGEST 3 hours of my life! Now I want to take my 2 boys to California in July but AGAIN the fear of flying is so crippling its stopping me from buying the tickets. I have the stupidest fears that 1. I cannot change planes because once I get comfortable with that first plane then that's it, asking me to change planes is like asking me to cut off my left arm or die. 2. If I bring my kids on a plane and it goes down then I am robbing them of having any kind of future. 3. I get on a plane with a pilot who is having a bad day or depressed or just goes crazy 4. Another planes crosses in front of us or is heading right into us and NOONE sees it in time, 5. Will not fly over water, so any international traveling is out of the picture for me unless I am drugged or drunk, 6. If I move out the plane seat to go to the restroom, the plane will tip or unbalance

Pathetic huh? I need help! Anyone can help calm this overbearing fear I have?  Talk some good old fashion sense into me? Tell me I am completely nuts and have seen Final Destination one too many times? I sure would appreciate it 😄

Turbulence is the worst thing you should expect to happen from among your list.  Other than that, air travel in the USA is exceedingly safe based on the statistics per passenger mile:

https://thepointsguy.com/2015/02/how-safe-is-air-travel-the-statistical-truth/

Depending where you are starting and ending, you may have an option for travel by Amtrak which I personally enjoy, but takes a long time and isn't cheap compared to air.

Driving is dismal by comparison statistically. 

Airports and airlines do offer liquid courage at any time of day specifically for that purpose although it may not be the way to go if your kids are young.

See what your kids think and maybe take the lead from them.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

AGrubbs33
Explorer C

Thanks! Flying from New Orleans, Louisiana to Los Angeles, California. Unfortunately the time we are going, guess what? I have to change planes! Amtrak is way too long to take and very expensive and driving is out of the question.I only have a week vacation to spend out there and want to soak up as much of Cali as I can! Kids are 14 and 17 so I think me taking a glass of liquid courage would be alright lol

ffflyer
Frequent Flyer B

Driving to the airport is literally more dangerous than flying on the plane. Don't get drunk if you're flying with kids, (it's never a good idea to get drunk for or on a flight anyway). 

I've flown all over the country and all over the world and the worst thing I've ever had was a bumpy yet perfectly safe landing in Las Vegas. 

Take a deep breath, calm yourself, and be an example for your children. 

StAugustine
Frequent Flyer C

lt looks like Spirit and Delta have non-stop flights from New Orleans to Los Angeles, which would take care of fear #1. I'd go Delta as Spirit can be uncomfortable.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@ffflyer wrote:

Driving to the airport is literally more dangerous than flying on the plane. Don't get drunk if you're flying with kids, (it's never a good idea to get drunk for or on a flight anyway). 

Not drunk! Just one to relax.

Anyway I hope you are safe and still able to take your trip.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.