Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Pensacola to FLL/MIA/MCO

floridaguy
Aviator C

Did you read the above post?

Anywhere in Florida is at most about five hours from MCO and the total time to prepare and experience the flight is the same amount of time.

Southwest doesn't see people flying short distances when if you drove, you'd already be there.

🙄

5280Av8r
Frequent Flyer C

@floridaguy wrote:

Anywhere in Florida is at most about five hours from MCO and the total time to prepare and experience the flight is the same amount of time.

Southwest doesn't see people flying short distances when if you drove, you'd already be there.

🙄

I read the post and Pensacola to Orlando is a 6h40m drive thank you very much. That means the panhandle to South Florida is much longer. At the very least Southwest should offer flights from, FLL to the panhandle. And drive time isn't the whole issue either, some short flights are for connections (Colorado Springs-Denver, Kansas City to St. Louis is also under 5 hours). This would provide people in the panhandle with better options to the Caribbean so they don't have to go up to Atlanta on Delta or use American going through Miami. There are more reasons than to just avoid driving. 

🙄

Andrew E

DEN (CLT) Based | Aviation Enthusiast | Full of Passion for Southwest

floridaguy
Aviator C

Closer to six hours - it is all freeway.  It takes me exactly five hours to cross the Alabama state line using my cruise control at legal speed.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@floridaguy wrote:

🙄

The airline was literally founded based on a triangle of HOU / DAL / SAT. Southwest does not avoid flying what would be a four-hour drive, they have proven that.

But the cities involved need to have a large enough population to generate the passengers. PNS not quite there. I wish it did, I've made that drive before and would have preferred to fly Southwest. (Opted not to fly Silver and drove it.)

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

bec102896
Aviator A

They do MCO to RSW so why not MCO/MIA or other Florida flights. 

oh and AUS/HOU AUS/DAL both 3 hour drives and they fly non stop to those cities so the 6 hour thing means nothing since they fly flights that are 30min 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@bec102896 wrote:

They do MCO to RSW so why not MCO/MIA or other Florida flights. 

But does the plane fly or drive down the interstate?

J/K - that's fine it's about double the MSA population for Fort Myers vs Pensacola. RSW is about four times the enplanements as PNS.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@5280Av8r wrote:

I am honestly surprised at Southwest's lack of intra-Florida flights compared to their intra-California flights. Obviously, Southwest is much more focused on leisure than business, but there's still intra-Florida leisure travel. A panhandle to South Florida or even Orlando would be comparable to a Bay Area to SoCal flight, so I'm not sure why they haven't done it yet. They do have MCO to FLL though, so there's that at least.

Andrew E

Comparable distance, not comparable population (and demand from passengers).

PNS is a nice little airport but not enough volume to support daily flights to MCO or FLL.

floridaguy
Aviator C

Now that the train is up and running, for $79 I can go Orlando to Miami in nice comfortable leather seats.  Living in Florida is so nice.  No state taxes either!