Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

"non-stop" HNL flights with unadvertised STOPS

JumpJet
Explorer C

Why does SWA 1535 LAS-HNL continually make stops at LAX or OAK?  Obviously it’s hot and the flight is full, but isn't that to be expected IN JULY during PEAK travel?  If it’s an aircraft performance issue, why not limit the number of seats sold?  If that isn’t acceptable, DON’T advertise it as NON-STOP.  

Days SWA 1535 made a stop just recently;

16 Jul

18 Jul

19 Jul

21 Jul

22 Jul

17 REPLIES 17

Re: "non-stop" HNL flights with unadvertised STOPS

dfwskier
Aviator A

Planes have defined ranges they can fly. If there is too much wind on the nose on some days, that range is reduced necessitating fuel stops.

Planes require a certain minimum runway length to safely take off. Hot weather increases that minimun lenght. In these cases an airline has 3 choices to lighten the plane which in turn reduces the amount of runway needed to take off.

1) Off load some oassengers

2) Off load some baggage and cargo

3) Leave with less fuel and then stop somewhere to get more.

JumpJet
Explorer C

But that does not answer the CUSTOMER SERVICE question.  It is a KNOWN fact it will be hot in Las Vegas in July.  Winds in the summer are usually much less in the SUMMER.  High jet stream winds occur over CONUS and the Eastern Pacific in the WINTER.  
It's July, we know the loads will be very high.  Why are we misleading customers.  SWA knows a stop is going to be required.  Why not book to a maximum number to ensure a stop doesn't need to be made?

dfwskier
Aviator A

"Why not book to a maximum number to ensure a stop doesn't need to be made?

Because revenue does matter.

If it realy bothers you, maybe you should fly the other guys.

JumpJet
Explorer C

Revenue does matter.  Could not agree more.  I could have flown the other guys IF I KNEW a stop was going to happen.  It's the customer service and not being genuine advertising the flight.  You must see that, or will you take SWAs position no matter what?

dfwskier
Aviator A

SW advertised the flight as nonstop because when the schedule  was set 8 months agp  , it expect ed the flight to be non stop. It had no way to know that the high pressure heat dome, which is normally over Texas this time of year, would instead be over CA and NV.

JumpJet
Explorer C

Now come on brother!  I live out here.  It is always this hot in July in Vegas!  Easy to plan for that 8 months out.  

dfwskier
Aviator A

The data does not lie

July 2024 has been hotter than either 2023 or 2022

Not many  days over 110 either of those years

2024 vegas temps 

2023 vegas temps 

2022 vegas temps 

JumpJet
Explorer C

The flight leaves at 9AM.  You telling me isn’t 110° at 9 am?  It wasn’t this morning.  And they went to Oakland. And it’s just reached 107° as I type… 2:35 PM.

dfwskier
Aviator A

You just want to argue. I refuse to indulge.

bye.