Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: "non-stop" HNL flights with unadvertised STOPS

bec102896
Aviator A

So were you actually on any of these flights?

JumpJet
Explorer C

I’m on the one tomorrow, and have been watching the flights on FlightAware, and they all (almost) stop.  Looks like ours is tomorrow too.  Not that Southwest.com has that info yet, but flightaware does…perhaps it has to do with filing flight plans.  SWA has yet

to notify us of the stop.  Maybe they are hoping the load is light and they can make it.

I actually just stumbled across the info on FlightAware, but after looking at the history of this flight each day it’s really got me perturbed.

bec102896
Aviator A

Looks like you get to visit LAX today 

JumpJet
Explorer C

Yes.  Wonderful

bec102896
Aviator A

When you made the stop did they give a reason besides just get fuel. Some pilots will give better details 

JumpJet
Explorer C

“it’s hot in Vegas and so many of you decided to join us today to HNL”

duh, it’s July and it’s peak travel season.  Again, it’s utterly predictable.

max -7 airplanes could probably make it, but they only have 150 seats vs 175 a max -8 has.   So why not book only to 150-160?

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@JumpJet wrote:

“it’s hot in Vegas and so many of you decided to join us today to HNL”

duh, it’s July and it’s peak travel season.  Again, it’s utterly predictable.

max -7 airplanes could probably make it, but they only have 150 seats vs 175 a max -8 has.   So why not book only to 150-160?

I don't think the difference is only the number of seats, the fuselage is a little longer for each variant as well. 

Is there construction at LAS right now that limits takeoffs to the short runways, or weather pattern?

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

dfwskier
Aviator A

There is a pretty significant weight difference between a 737-700 and a Max 8 - about a 60,000

pound difference.

The other thing to remember is to attain sufficient lift for takeoff requires a higher speed in hot air than air that is not so hot -- ie use more runway. It also brings into play another factor: plane tires are speed rated - meaning do not intentionally go faster than. The temps in Las Vegas may be pushing that limit - thus find some way to lighten the plane and lower the speed required to lift off..