Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Application Denied

ozymandi0z
Explorer C

Hello! I just applied to Southwest's Spring 2024 Internship yesterday, September 15. I visited Southwest's table at the Shellhacks hackathon, and the student outreach encouraged me to apply, saying that the application is extended until midnight due to the circumstances of the hackathon. I did just that, but this morning, I received an email saying that my application was denied because I did not meet the minimum requirements. A little bit more browsing on the Discussion Board said that there is normally three reasons why we get instantly rejected: 

1. Application actually does not meet minimum requirements

2. Applied late in cycle

From the listing that the minimum requirements are being at least a sophomore and having a GPA above 2.5, and I got confirmation directly from the student outreach that I am eligible to apply. So, what could be the reason I am denied? 

Thank you for your time!

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Application Denied

adrienneb
Employee
Employee
Solution

Hi there, @ozymandi0z!

Thank you so much for reaching out and for your interest in Internships at Southwest! I hope you enjoyed ShellHacks and meeting some of our Team there! 

I took a closer look, and for the particular position you applied to, U.S. citizenship or current authorization to work in the U.S. is required & no current or future work authorization sponsorship is available. Due to your answer to the "Do you now or in the future require sponsorship to work in the United States?" question, your application was removed from the process. 

I'm so sorry for any confusion or frustration, especially after you spoke with our Team at ShellHacks! We're so appreciative of your interest to explore an Internship with Heart! 

ozymandi0z
Explorer C

Thank you so much for your reply! I really did enjoy meeting with your team at the hackathon. Although there's no chance of getting an internship at Spring, I'll try again for other Southwest opportunities and hopefully one day become part of the family!

Cheers!

adrienneb
Employee
Employee

So happy to connect with you, @ozymandi0z

We'd love to welcome you to the Family one day! New opportunities are posted almost every day, so you never know when you'll find your next career calling. Wishing you the very best!