Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Can a pet have a seat? Tryi g to fly with 3 cats.

Martiskis
Explorer C

I'm trying to find out if it's even possible to travel and take my three cats with me. Likely travel would be  Wisconsin to Colorado.

With limitations on how many cats in a carrier (max 2) and how many carriers per ticketed passenger (1).

Could I buy a second seat, basically for one of the cats, and count them as a ticketed passenger? It'd give me room enough for the carriers. But...can the cat count as another ticketed passenger (if I've paid for a ticket for them), so I get to take two carriers (or maybe even three)? 

Has anyone heard of this being done?  The closest I've heard is someone buying an extra seat for her harp. 

Please let me know if there's anything, short of the unaffordable pet travel nanny, to accomplish traveling by myself with the cats. 

Plenty of people travel alone, with three or more kids, my cats are a lot less trouble, so I'm hoping this can be done. 

Thank you! 

Marti

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Can a pet have a seat? Tryi g to fly with 3 cats.

dfwskier
Aviator A

I'm afraid the rule is one carrier per passenger with a max of 2 animals per carrier. Also, I donlt beleive you can buy a seat for an animal - besides the one carrier per passenger would still apply.

Can you find someone to travel with you and the other person would take the second carrier?

floridaguy
Aviator C

You can buy, under your name, as many seats as you want.  However, being one person your carry on and pets are limited.

From a technical perspective, if you name the passenger as say "Fido Jones" or "Misty Jones" and have a valid government issued ID, I suppose they can board as passengers.  If they are very young cats, you could also argue that they are below the age limit of needing and ID and Southwest would have to prove through DNA that they are not human but indeed, cats.

bec102896
Aviator A

@floridaguy wrote:

You can buy, under your name, as many seats as you want.  However, being one person your carry on and pets are limited.

From a technical perspective, if you name the passenger as say "Fido Jones" or "Misty Jones" and have a valid government issued ID, I suppose they can board as passengers.  If they are very young cats, you could also argue that they are below the age limit of needing and ID and Southwest would have to prove through DNA that they are not human but indeed, cats.

I don’t advise doing this 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

Even if you buy multiple tickets then you’ll forfeit the extras as “no show” when you get there and then scan the boarding pass for yourself that’s all you get - the additional seats will be marked no show and forfeit.

Potentially there will end up being empty seats on the plane, but you won’t be guaranteed to have them next to you.

*the last place I would sit on a plane is next to someone with three pets but I’m allergic, it may not bother some people or they might even enjoy it.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.