Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Canceling and rebooking for transferable credit

AlexM89
Explorer C

Hello everyone. I purchased four tickets for myself and three friends for a trip in less than two weeks from now. One of the friends moms ended up having an accident that required her to have major surgery on her arm, because of this that friend no longer has someone to watch her kids for our trip and she had to cancel out. I have another friend interested in taking her place, however, The tickets I bought for us are wanna get away. Now I’ve read other posts where people have said to cancel the flight for credit, then use the credit to purchase a ticket with get way plus to get the transferable credit to transfer to the other person. My problem is that to either upgrade or just purchase a new ticket for our flight with plus will cost an extra $200. What I’m wondering is, can I cancel the original flight and get the credit, then just find any other flight available from southwest going anywhere that cost the same price as the credit, (like say just a one way ticket priced the amount of my credit) buy that ticket with the get away plus, then cancel right away to get the transferable credit? The friend we want to transfer to already has credit on her account for another canceled flight, the credit she already has plus credit from this flight is enough for her to a buy a ticket for herself on our flight, that is why I don’t want pay $200 more, and then have an extra $200 worth of credit sitting there or sent to her.  Thanks in advanced. 

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Canceling and rebooking for transferable credit

SoCalFlyer97
Frequent Flyer A

@AlexM89 wrote:

Hello everyone. I purchased four tickets for myself and three friends for a trip in less than two weeks from now. One of the friends moms ended up having an accident that required her to have major surgery on her arm, because of this that friend no longer has someone to watch her kids for our trip and she had to cancel out. I have another friend interested in taking her place, however, The tickets I bought for us are wanna get away. Now I’ve read other posts where people have said to cancel the flight for credit, then use the credit to purchase a ticket with get way plus to get the transferable credit to transfer to the other person. My problem is that to either upgrade or just purchase a new ticket for our flight with plus will cost an extra $200. What I’m wondering is, can I cancel the original flight and get the credit, then just find any other flight available from southwest going anywhere that cost the same price as the credit, (like say just a one way ticket priced the amount of my credit) buy that ticket with the get away plus, then cancel right away to get the transferable credit? The friend we want to transfer to already has credit on her account for another canceled flight, the credit she already has plus credit from this flight is enough for her to a buy a ticket for herself on our flight, that is why I don’t want pay $200 more, and then have an extra $200 worth of credit sitting there or sent to her.  Thanks in advanced. 

Hello!

Best wishes for your friend who cannot make it.

You are correct that your friend will not be able to keep the same price given the changed posted price between the time of original booking and today.

I am aware that there was a reported loophole published on this board and elsewhere that allows a non-transferable WGA flight credit to be 'converted' into a 'fresh' transferable credit by using the original credit toward purchase of any WGA+ fare on a date between any two destination so as long it does not conflict with any other existing bookings. After booking that flight, that person would cancel that reservation and the returned credit is reported to be a transferable flight credit.

I don't know if this is still valid as I've never needed to do something like this. It appears according to Southwest Policy that it can still be done given that there are no published restrictions on fare class when purchasing flights with a non-transferable flight credit nor when receiving a WGA+ transferable flight credit:

• What are flight credits?
  • A flight credit is a credit from either a canceled flight or a downgrade in fare that can be used to buy a future flight.

• How do I book a flight with a flight credit?
  • When booking a flight, you’ll see an option to apply a flight credit on the payment screen and can do so by entering the confirmation number associated with the flight credit. Each Passenger can use a total of three forms of payment per booking, and each flight credit counts as a form of payment.

• WGA+ Transferable Flight Credit Policy:
  • Transferable Flight Credit™ allows you to transfer your flight credit to someone else. Both must be Rapid Rewards® Members and only one transfer is permitted. Transferable Flight Credits don't expire. For bookings made through a Southwest® Business channel, there is a limitation to transfer only between employees within the organization.

If you try it and it works, great! If not, I believe the worst case scenario is that your friend would retain this credit for future use.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@AlexM89 wrote:

I think what  you are describing is what was suggested for this other person which seems to have worked recently.

https://community.southwest.com/t5/Reservations/How-to-get-a-refund-for-reservation-paid-with-gift-c...

In simpler terms:

• Original passenger cancels ticket, gets travel credit in their name only.
  • Original passenger re-books another flight as close as possible in value as WGA+ using the travel credit.
  • Original passenger cancels that flight, the resulting travel credit is now transferable.
  • Original passenger transfers travel credit to new passenger.
  • New passenger can book the flight with some extra funds since the price of the flight has gone up as we get closer to the date of travel.

If original passenger plans to fly Southwest anytime soon they could also just give you the cash that you paid for their ticket and pass it along. I assume the gyrations are because the original passenger didn't have the cash handy in the two week time frame or they aren't flying very often and would rather not carry the credit around.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

bec102896
Aviator A
Solution

@DancingDavidE wrote:

@AlexM89 wrote:

I think what  you are describing is what was suggested for this other person which seems to have worked recently.

https://community.southwest.com/t5/Reservations/How-to-get-a-refund-for-reservation-paid-with-gift-c...

In simpler terms:

• Original passenger cancels ticket, gets travel credit in their name only.
  • Original passenger re-books another flight as close as possible in value as WGA+ using the travel credit.
  • Original passenger cancels that flight, the resulting travel credit is now transferable.
  • Original passenger transfers travel credit to new passenger.
  • New passenger can book the flight with some extra funds since the price of the flight has gone up as we get closer to the date of travel.

If original passenger plans to fly Southwest anytime soon they could also just give you the cash that you paid for their ticket and pass it along. I assume the gyrations are because the original passenger didn't have the cash handy in the two week time frame or they aren't flying very often and would rather not carry the credit around.

Exactly as @DancingDavidE described it 

I will add the new person would need a RR account to get the transferred credit 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@bec102896 wrote:

@DancingDavidE wrote:

@AlexM89 wrote:

Hello everyone. I purchased four tickets for myself and three friends for

Exactly as @DancingDavidE described it 

I will add the new person would need a RR account to get the transferred credit 

Good point @bec102896  - New and original passengers actually, if the original passenger had you buy the tickets because they didn't have an account they will also need to sign up to transfer the credit, the new passenger will have to sign up to receive it.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

AlexM89
Explorer C

Thank you! This is exactly the kind of answer I was looking for. Do you know if the credit is immediately available to use as soon as you cancel? I’m hoping to get this all done today and the new ticket booked before the price goes up as we are just over a week away from departure say 

crswan01
Explorer C

Did this work for anyone else?? It keeps giving me an error

dfwskier
Aviator A

it works for me.

What is the error message?

AlexM89
Explorer C

It did work. This is what I had to do.

I Had to make a rapid rewards account for the friend whose ticket was being canceled. I then pull up her ticket on her new account via the reservation number, and canceled it. Through her new account we then just looked up a random one way ticket that had a price the same prices as the credit($10 more actually) under wanna get away plus, when you go to check out you’ll get the option to use a credit, you pull up the credit using the reservation number from the original canceled flight number. Once you enter that number, it’ll apply the credit amount to the ticket cost so you can make that reservation. Once it was made(make sure it is get away PLUS) I was able to immediately cancel it and got the credit again, now transferable. Then I was able to use the friend now going RR account number to transfer the credit for the canceled flight to her. She then on her account had a credit for the total of the new ticket I had canceled.