Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

How to get a refund for reservation paid with gift card

GinaMLS
Explorer C

For Mother’s Day, I sent a gift card to my mother (80 years old) to cover her annual trip to visit me. She reserved her flight and it was supposed to take place this week. Unfortunately, she had a fall and related medical issues and is no longer able to travel by air; not for the planned visit nor ever again in the future.  

Because her ticket was purchased (a) with a gift card, and (b) for a WannaGetAway fare, we are told Southwest can only provide the travel credit to her account/name.  But, it will just sit there unused and $500 is essentially wasted. Are there any ideas for how those travel funds can be transferred to someone else? Even for a transfer fee? I’d take them in my account since, clearly, there going to be a lot more flights for me between my home and my mom’s home. That way, at least southwest knows the funds are used for them and not just credited back to some mystery credit card. I get them not wanting to do that since it was purchased with a gift card…completely understandable. 

This is just a weird situation. No, she didn’t pay for the “plus” level ticket, but she also didn’t know she would have a fall that caused a doctor to say, “no more flying.” There has to be a way to use the credit or pay to transfer it.

7 REPLIES 7

Re: How to get a refund for reservation paid with gift card

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

Sorry to hear about your mother. Hope things improve for her.

It's easy to do what you want. Have your mother use the travel fund to buy a Wanna Gwt Away+ ticket, and then cancel the ticket. The new travel fund will be  eligible for transfer to any other Rapid R ewards account holder.

ZevSupport
Frequent Flyer A

This is exactly what I'd suggest! ^

Community Champion | PHL based | ex-Companion Pass Holder | Southwest Passenger

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@dfwskier wrote:

Sorry to hear about your mother. Hope things improve for her.

It's easy to do what you want. Have your mother use the travel fund to buy a Wanna Gwt Away+ ticket, and then cancel the ticket. The new travel fund will be  eligible for transfer to any other Rapid R ewards account holder.

This is definitely the best self-service option. 

You can try for an exception by reaching out to Contact Southwest Customer Service  but this may not be granted. 

Recommend to pursue @dfwskier 's suggestion if it will work.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

GinaMLS
Explorer C

This brilliant, and I'm embarrassed for not seeing it. Going to try this.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

Either break it into two or hopefully you can find a trip that works well to match the total. You may leave a handful of $ on the table or need to top it off with a little extra cash to get the full value into the WGA+ ticket(s).

GinaMLS
Explorer C

I just wanted to close out this thread.  Thank you, all, for the suggestion. I did it. It worked. We only lost $4.01 in my mom's account that is not transferable.  I can live with that.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@GinaMLS wrote:

I just wanted to close out this thread.  Thank you, all, for the suggestion. I did it. It worked. We only lost $4.01 in my mom's account that is not transferable.  I can live with that.

Glad that it worked out and thanks for letting us know.