Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Changes when not knowing the new date

Patrickaz67
Explorer C

I realize that Southwest flights are free to change. However, what if I have a very sick familiy member and know for certain that I cannot travel on the current planned travel date, however I do not know when I will be able to travel after my family member is no longer sick. Can I just cancel my current flight and then have the ticket funds available when i am ready to book again?

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Changes when not knowing the new date

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

Yes. Using the confirmation number from the canceled flight, you can apply the price paid towards another flight later on. You must complete travel within one year of the purchase date of the reservation you canceled. 

If you purchased the EarlyBird Check-In option you are better off changing (not canceling) the reservation. Change it to a date far in the future for a similarly priced flight (any flight will do), then change it again once you know your plans. If you cancel a flight with EarlyBird you lose the price paid for EarlyBird. 

Best wishes to your family 

rnowakdo
Explorer C

What are the time frames for cancelling the return flight to be rescheduled at a later date?

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

You can cancel a flight up to 10 minutes prior to departure and retain credit (some exceptions for points bookings and non-WGA fares). The key is that you need to use the credit (complete travel) within one year of the initial purchase.