Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Damaged Luggage and iPad left on plane

roberttownes
Explorer C

I am not sure who else to to speak to on SWA. My wife and I left and iPad on flight 4043 from Houston to El Paso on 10/21/18 at around 11:15pm. We also received one of our luggages damaged. We realized this less than 30 minutes after getting off the plane. While we were still at the airport, my wife notified a SWA attendant at the airport that I left my iPad on the plane, she then told me that she would call her once the plane was cleaned up. About 10 minutes later I went back inside the airport to tell the SWA attendant about my iPad and damaged luggage she told me something similar to what she told my wife, that once the plane was cleaned up in a few hours she would call me to notify me about the iPad and for luggage damage, she told me I needed to file a report online for the damages. I never got a call back from the airport for the iPad, I went the next morning and was told that there was nothing she could do that the plane left. I was able to find a report online to file for lost and found, but now I am told the airplane is not in El Paso, that it left Monday morning, even though we called multiple times. I understand that I should not have left my iPad, but I notified them while the plane was still in El Paso, while the plane was still docked. We were towards the back and the iPad was left in back seat pocket.

When I tried file the damages for the luggage online, it stated I needed to call, which I did, but then was told I needed to notify an agent at the airport within 4 hours, which I had, but she had done nothing about it, she told me to go online, but I was not able to do that. I was told over the phone they were filling out a courtsey report since it had been over 4 hours, today I received an email from SWA stating that, according tomy report, they may not be liable for damages, and to provide receipts and such.

The luggage damaged was over 8 years old, I do not have a receipt, in the process of them damaging the luggage, the also broke a portait that my wife had brought back from Virginia from her grandmother's funeral. 

This was our first experience with Southwest and unfortunatley we did not have much time to look up reviews on SWA customer service since we needed to buy tickets ASAP due to my wife's grandmother's funeral. 

The flight going to Virginia was great and even coming back to El Paso, but the customer service has been a little off since we have filed the lost and found claims and the damaged luggage claim. The SWA agent should have been able to help us ASAP with at least the luggage claim, she should have known that it needed to be reported in person within 4 hours, which we did, but she did nothing about it and now SWA is saying they may not even be responsible. 

1 REPLY 1

Re: Damaged Luggage and iPad left on plane

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

Call customer service and/or customer relations about your luggage. I'm not sure why they referred you online, or else you would have had to file the online report within four hours might be what they mean?

https://www.southwest.com/contact-us/contact-us.html?clk=GFOOTER-CUSTOMER-CONTACT-US

They'll need some basis to estimate the damage or for you to let them know what you want, it might help for you to suggest what you think is appropriate in relation to the value of the luggage.

It actually sounds promising to me if they were at the point where you could submit a receipt to tell someone the value of it. 

For the iPad, try to make sure that you've entered the serial number in the lost and found report if possible, that's a great way for the lost and found service to match it with  you. If it wasn't in airplane mode, can you use "FindMyIphone" app to ping it with your contact info?

The portrait is a tough one, I'm sorry to hear it was damaged but it may apply under the limited conditions as a fragile item that in hindsight would be better carried on.

Edit: meant to include the customer relation phone number - https://www.southwest.com/contact-us/contact-us.html?clk=GFOOTER-CUSTOMER-CONTACT-US

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.