Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Do skiis fly for free?? Nope

Seanharman
Explorer C

Booked my flight thinking my skis fly for free like stated and even states that my boot bag won’t count as an extra bag! Great?? Not great read the fine print.. if your skis/bag is over 62in it is an extra $125 EACH WAY. customer service confirmed it too. Can we be clear on the terms?! What is the policy on ski equipment??

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Do skiis fly for free?? Nope

tappingmom1
Frequent Flyer B
Solution

Either a mistake was made when you checked in by an unknowledgeable agent or the written policy is incorrectly worded.  I believe you are due a refund of those charges based on the description below and would take this up with SWA.  Click on the blue Contact Us button at the bottom of the Discussion Forum screen and include their wording.

https://www.southwest.com/help/baggage/special-baggage-sports-equipment:

Any of the items listed below may be checked in substitution of one piece of the free checked baggage allowance for you at no charge on a one-item-for-one-bag basis. If the item of sporting equipment exceeds 50 pounds in weight, excess weight charges will apply. If the item of sporting equipment exceeds 62 inches in size (outside length plus height plus width), excess size charges will not apply.

Snow ski equipment.

Snow ski equipment, including skis or snowboards, ski boots, and ski poles are allowed, including one pair of skis or one snowboard, one set of poles, and one pair of ski/snowboard boots packed in a container(s) acceptable to Carrier. When substituting ski equipment for a free bag, we allow up to two bags (containing one set of snow skis, ski poles, and ski boots) to count as one item, even if they are packed and tagged separately. Snow ski equipment packed in a plastic bag will be transported only with a limited release of liability.

Re: Do skiis fly for free?? Nope

N82EZ
Adventurer B

I had the same issue coming home from DEN last year.... Was a time when the bag belts were broken and didn't want to argue the point too much. Paid the $50 for the extra boot bag. Explained I came from AUS with same bags; no charge. All that was in one bag was skis and poles. The other boots, helmet and gloves...(Boot size soft bag) YMMV