Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Experience standing IN a preboarding line.

joyan
Explorer C

My daughter's (all teen) flew out of BWI just now. My one daughter broke her ankle and has a mobility scooter so she has an obvious impediment, and this was my first time experiencing standing IN a preboarding line (with her).

I know I've heard and seen (at times) the preboarding behavior. But it was something else to experience it. I had three seniors literally shove my daughter (standing with her cast resting on a scooter) to get ahead of her. No Jetway Jesusi, just entitled folks. I told one guy that we were also preboarding and he looked put upon and said "Well how do I know?" I looked at my daughter with her cast and looked at him and then looked at the kid with the service dog in the same line and just looked at him incredously.

The gate folks at swa don't get paid enough.

1 REPLY 1

Re: Experience standing IN a preboarding line.

SoCalFlyer97
Aviator C

@joyan wrote:

My daughter's (all teen) flew out of BWI just now. My one daughter broke her ankle and has a mobility scooter so she has an obvious impediment, and this was my first time experiencing standing IN a preboarding line (with her).

I know I've heard and seen (at times) the preboarding behavior. But it was something else to experience it. I had three seniors literally shove my daughter (standing with her cast resting on a scooter) to get ahead of her. No Jetway Jesusi, just entitled folks. I told one guy that we were also preboarding and he looked put upon and said "Well how do I know?" I looked at my daughter with her cast and looked at him and then looked at the kid with the service dog in the same line and just looked at him incredously.

The gate folks at swa don't get paid enough.

Hello!

As a fellow passenger, sorry to hear this happened to you. Prayers for your daughter for a speedy recovery.

To clarify, did this incident occur in the jetway as you were headed to the plane or while you were waiting in the terminal at the gate? The reason I ask is that I fly very frequently in SoCal and those queued up to pre-board which includes wheelchaired passengers are usually boarded in an orderly manner and an incident like this in the gate area would be an exception.

Either way, I've found that SW Gate Agents are usually very good at maintaining order in the gate and jetbridge areas and noticed that the queued pre-boards are processed and enter the jet bridge area orderly.

If you believe the Gate Agent for your flight did not manage the pre-board queue well that led to disorderly boarding (i.e.: other pre-boarders behind you trying to 'cut' the line to get through the gate first), I would let Southwest Customer Relations know by email or DM via Twitter/X as this message board is customer-to-customer (be sure to note your flight number and your date of travel in your letter):
https://support.southwest.com/helpcenter/s/email-us

Hope this helps and hope your daughter gets well very soon!