Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Flight attendant rude to service dog and handler.

askrzyp
Explorer C

On 20 December my family and I were traveling to see some extended family from Houston Hobby to Albany, NY. I'm a veteran with a long list of diagnosis' and have a solid black German Shepherd that is a task trained psychiatric/light mobility service dog.

Despite heavy holiday traffic she did so well! So we get on our first plane, and encountered a flight attendant that scoffed and rolled her eyes when she saw my dog. She rudely told me my dog needed to face away from the aisle and wasn't allowed to stretch out. (thankfully my husband and our daughter were sitting next to us) She gave us dirty looks the entire flight, and even tapped on my leg while my dog was applying DPT (on the floor) and told me I needed to face her towards the skin of the aircraft. I eventually went back to my seat, but my dog alerted that my heart rate was elevating and to take my medication, and here she comes with an even worse attitude, telling me to get her paws off my lap. (Which is her cue) .... Just absolutely disgusting behavior.

Every other flight we took after that, the crew was excellent, friendly, respectful and professional. It's hard enough as it is to be in crowds, but that's what my service animal is for. She made me feel unwelcomed and that my dog was an inconvenience.

I have my flight information and if y'all need a description I will provide that was well, because I would like to make a formal complaint about that flight attendant.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Flight attendant rude to service dog and handler.

floridaguy
Aviator C

Your story indicates a clear bias and should not be tolerated.  

I would suggest consulting with legal counsel to see what can be done to assure that the next passenger will not endure that kind of activity.

dfwskier
Aviator A

Or you can file a formal complaint with the airline by clicking on “contact us” below and proceeding.

you are not talking with SW here as this is a customer to customer forum.

question:: why did you wait two months to complain.?

floridaguy
Aviator C

From my read of the complaint, they are not interested in a remedy from Southwest as they have stewed about this for some time.  It was Southwest who created the situation through their employee, so I understand why the OP may not wish to engage Southwest in the incident.

Maybe they will get a LUV voucher but maybe they are trying to raise an awareness of the bias that they experienced.  

Shannon0205
Explorer C

Hi. I would really like to speak with you regarding your experience and Houston Hobby. My daughter has experienced discrimination regarding her service dog not once but twice at this airport. Most recently last night. This is unacceptable and your voice should be heard.