Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

IOS app - gate not showing in apple wallet

Cbaugh
Explorer C

Hey all, 

I’m wondering if it’s just me... but when I add a boarding pass to my apple wallet, 99% of things work great.  The challenge I’m having is that the gate doesn’t show up on the boarding pass (upper right hand corner).  If I go back to the mobile app, it’s there.  But, in the boarding pass it doesn’t show up.  So, when I’m on a layover or just arriving at the airport, I can’t just bring up the boarding pass on the lock screen, I have to unlock the phone, open the SW App and look there for my gate.

Anyone else seeing this?

Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: IOS app - gate not showing in apple wallet

CareforNOLA
Frequent Flyer A

@Cbaugh ,

yes, I have never noticed the gate info being on the boarding pass in Apple Wallet, so I have always used the app to keep tabs.  Most likely, it is because gates are subject to frequent changes, so the company would want people to verify the gate number rather than trying on the gate assignment when they checked in.  I could see more missed flights if people did not go to the app for the most current info.

To make sure that I have the right gate info, I will often check both the app and FlightAware.  Part of the reason for that is that one of my most used destination airports was notoriously late in posting gate information (versus New Orleans who keeps up with gate info well, but often struggles with posting baggage carousels).

I hope that helps give you the perspective of why gate info and boarding pass may not be hooked together (and I admit that part of my drive to know the most current gate info is that I am often rushing to the gate at the last minute).

Cbaugh
Explorer C

Thank you @CareforNOLA.  

While I understand your logic below, it still doesn’t really solve the problem. If the app or any other app can be updated, then the boarding pass can be updated as well. Simply have it refresh each time it’s viewed. 

A simple solution which may address your concern as well is to put a link back to the app where the “Gate” is shown on the boarding pass... this would at least make it a 1 click solution. 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Cbaugh wrote:

Thank you @CareforNOLA.  

While I understand your logic below, it still doesn’t really solve the problem. If the app or any other app can be updated, then the boarding pass can be updated as well. Simply have it refresh each time it’s viewed. 

A simple solution which may address your concern as well is to put a link back to the app where the “Gate” is shown on the boarding pass... this would at least make it a 1 click solution. 

This is by design - the export to wallet isn't a dynamic function, so this happens to me all of the time as well. Particularly at larger airports the gate may not be defined when you check in at T-24 and download your boarding passes, but at some smaller facilities it may be assigned that early.

However, if you re-download the pass later the gate will show up.

Note that it is static though, so if it is changed the pass in the wallet will still show the gate as assigned at the time. The app will be live as you mentioned, and I'm a big fan of App in the Air to keep track of gate changes alongside Southwest's app.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

Now I'm confused reading the thread - it used to show gate info in the wallet as of the time you downloaded it, but the argument to remove it completely since it will often be out of date is interesting. The same logic would apply to people with paper passes though, somehow they (mostly) manage!

I can't verify my last trip since I had downloaded the boarding passes early, and they do show blank now.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.