Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Lap Child-personal item

CBMcD23
Explorer C

I am traveling with my one year old as a lap child and my husband. I know that my husband and I each get a carry on and a personal item. I know my child doesn’t get a carry on because she isn’t a paid seat but I was wondering if she gets a person item (like a diaper bag). 

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Lap Child-personal item

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@CBMcD23 wrote:

I am traveling with my one year old as a lap child and my husband. I know that my husband and I each get a carry on and a personal item. I know my child doesn’t get a carry on because she isn’t a paid seat but I was wondering if she gets a person item (like a diaper bag). 

Only if you have formula/milk it would be counted as an additional item allowance but a "dry" diaper bag would count towards you and your husband's collective four items.

Combining things is okay - if you had a separate purse for example as long as you can put it in the diaper bag to board, it doesn't matter if you take it out later during flight and have three items, you mainly have two missions: Get seated with your two items, and each person gets one overhead and one underseat - if after you separate the purse and diaper bag they still fit in your underseat area you are all good.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Re: Lap Child-personal item

Munsingerjc
Adventurer C

Hey there! So like you said, because the lap infant doesn't have a "Paid Seat" they unfortunately do not get a personal item, unless like previously said, it is formula or something of that kind. I am most certain that they won't get mad about that! But if it is Miscellaneous stuff, I would recommend using one of your carry-ons. Hope this helps!

Home Airport is DEN. Frequent visitor to the West.