Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Layover - no plane change 40 min- travelling with kid

sunilpenna10
Explorer C

Hi

I am planning to book a ticket with 40 min layover in Denver and no plane change. Since I am travelling with 16 months old, I would like to get out of plane and get back in after changing diapers and get some muscle relaxation for infant. I will be travelling with my family of 4. Is this allowed?

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Layover - no plane change 40 min- travelling with kid

dfwskier
Aviator A

It's hard to say because sometimes it is allowed and other times it is not.

IMO in this case my guess is that it would not be allowed.  The 40 minute time on the ground is just too short. 

StAugustine
Frequent Flyer C

I've had it both ways. I think I was able to get off on a longer layover - say one hour. With 40 minutes the new passengers are probably already lining up to board and they will probably start boarding the new passengers almost immediately after the deplaning passengers are all off. 

SoCalFlyer97
Aviator C

@sunilpenna10 wrote:

Hi

I am planning to book a ticket with 40 min layover in Denver and no plane change. Since I am travelling with 16 months old, I would like to get out of plane and get back in after changing diapers and get some muscle relaxation for infant. I will be travelling with my family of 4. Is this allowed?

Hello-

I echo @dfwskier. Your group would be Through-Passengers and will need to remain on the plane at the DEN stop but you'll be able to get up from your seat and stretch after they do a count. Think as of it as a roadside stop where you can get up, but you'll remain inside the plane.

Once your plane lands in DEN, those headed to DEN will deplane. Through-passengers stay seated. Once the DEN passengers have deplaned, Flight Attendants will do a count of your group and all other through-passengers. Once they're done counting, they'll make an announcement that you can get up, stretch or use the restroom aboard the plane. You can also select a new set of seats too.

They probably won't let you leave the plane to go into the terminal; however you'll be able to get up during this short period so you can care for your infant before they board the next set of passengers. Once the next set of passengers start boarding, you should return to your seats.

I would also pack some extra refreshments for your trip since your flight will include a through-stop.

Hope this helps!

ZevSupport
Aviator C

I've had a few trips where I was able to go into the terminal, and even chill in the cockpit with the pilot! Was super cool! 

Community Champion | PHL based | ex-Companion Pass Holder | Southwest Passenger

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@sunilpenna10 wrote:

Hi

Double check ahead of time which lavatory has the changing table and ask the FA for a garbage back and you can wrap up the dirties inside a tied-off bag instead of putting it in the general trash.

If the flights are all on time and it is really 40 minutes you can think of this as 10 minutes deplaning, 10 minutes cleaning and paperwork, counting, and transition, and then 20 minutes of boarding and then leaving probably 10 minutes late.

So you don't get the full 40 minutes, you'd realistically be looking at ten minutes to be back and in line to board, with the A group already boarding by then.

Especially if the other two family members are also kids I'd suggest not getting off even if it was offered.

However, stay aware and if the flight arrives on time but gets delayed for departure then I'd ask.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.