Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Highlighted

Re: Mask Exception - Asthma - Forced to apologize

Top Contributor

Actually, a mask may cause an attack. I've had it happen 3 times since mid March.

All 3 times i put mask on before entering a retail establishment - asthma free at those times.

During the process of walking around symptoms would start and get worse over time. I then left the stores and took off my mask. I immediately started improving and accelerated that process by using my Proventil.

Highlighted

New Arrival

OMG - I just replied with the same thing as I've also had 3 attacks since wearing a mask and since my asthma is food allergy induced which will trigger signs of attach within 10-20 minutes if I ingest something I'm allergic to I know it was wearing a mask as I hadn't been eating and entered establishments with mask and within 10 minutes was wheezing

Highlighted

New Arrival

I just had a really bad experience. I have bad allergic asthma and also anxiety and panic attacks. I was wearing a mask on a flight and was having a great deal of trouble breathing, and I was getting very anxious. My mask had just slipped partway down my nose. The flight attendant not very nicely told me it had to be completely covering my nose. I told her of my breathing problems and she retorted that's too bad you have to wear it. She was passing out snacks and passed me up completely. I would have let the whole incident go but this was obviously very rude. I then asked for a snack again and said _can I get one at all? "she then says rudely that I am being a big problem and do I want to get arrested?? I told her that she was being a problem and asked for her name.after getting off the plane this man comes and says _did you have a problem? I said yes and explained what happened. He s said I was completely wrong and I would be terrible for infecting all these people.and basically nothing about my difficulty breathing or her rudeness-just how bad and wrong I was. I told him that I would contact management about both of their behaviors. He says cockily and snottily, well I am the management and I am in charge so you are talking to the management. I am it!!!  The attendant had  also lied about saying that I could be arrested. I told this "big wig major policy maker ManAger " that I was planning to contact people who made the decisions. He was yelling at me as people were exciting the plane, staring at me. 

Highlighted

Top Contributor

@Doraine wrote:

I just had a really bad experience. I have bad allergic asthma and also anxiety and panic attacks. I was wearing a mask on a flight and was having a great deal of trouble breathing, and I was getting very anxious. My mask had just slipped partway down my nose. The flight attendant not very nicely told me it had to be completely covering my nose. I told her of my breathing problems and she retorted that's too bad you have to wear it. She was passing out snacks and passed me up completely. I would have let the whole incident go but this was obviously very rude. I then asked for a snack again and said _can I get one at all? "she then says rudely that I am being a big problem and do I want to get arrested?? I told her that she was being a problem and asked for her name.after getting off the plane this man comes and says _did you have a problem? I said yes and explained what happened. He s said I was completely wrong and I would be terrible for infecting all these people.and basically nothing about my difficulty breathing or her rudeness-just how bad and wrong I was. I told him that I would contact management about both of their behaviors. He says cockily and snottily, well I am the management and I am in charge so you are talking to the management. I am it!!!  The attendant had  also lied about saying that I could be arrested. I told this "big wig major policy maker ManAger " that I was planning to contact people who made the decisions. He was yelling at me as people were exciting the plane, staring at me. 

Well that was unfortunate. Sorry you had to endure it.

I hope you got the names of both that Flight attendant and the manager (was he dressed in Southwest clothing?). You could file a complaint directly with the airline. Include the names of the offending employees, flight number, departure and destination cities, date of travel.

Here's how to do that:

https://community.southwest.com/t5/Knowledge-Base/Submitting-a-Suggestion-and-or-Complaint/ta-p/8724...

Remember that you are not required to wear a mask when eating or drinking. So the next time you fly, bring a bottle of water on board, and be sure to get water and snacks from the flight attendant. When you are having a problem, remove your mask and have a small drink, then a short while later have one pretzel, and a short while after that have another small drink etc, etc. 

There's no rule that says you have to eat and drink quickly (wink, wink).

Highlighted

Top Contributor

@dfwskier wrote:

Well, actually there is.

We do acknowledge there may be times when a Customer needs to briefly remove their face covering, for instance, to eat, drink, or take medicine. However, we expect these instances to be very brief, and Customers should put their face covering back on as soon as possible.

Highlighted

Top Contributor

@chgoflyer wrote:

@dfwskier wrote:

Well, actually there is.

We do acknowledge there may be times when a Customer needs to briefly remove their face covering, for instance, to eat, drink, or take medicine. However, we expect these instances to be very brief, and Customers should put their face covering back on as soon as possible.

As a practical matter, on the 8 Southwest flights I've taken since snacks and water started being served, I have never been told to speed up my eating and drinking.

Highlighted

Top Contributor

@dfwskier wrote:

@chgoflyer wrote:

@dfwskier wrote:

Well, actually there is.

As a practical matter, on the 8 Southwest flights I've taken since snacks and water started being served, I have never been told to speed up my eating and drinking.

But the rule exists nonetheless.

As we've noted before, enforcement can be sadly inconsistent. 

While I suspect those who are generally respecting the spirit of the law aren't bothered by FAs, even when eating and drinking, those that obviously aren't making an effort should, and are, often addressed.

Highlighted

New Arrival

thanks for the advice- He also, when the manager was standing outside the plane door and accosted me, yelling at me, was saying that "maybe you should just stay home if you don't like the rules", and when I said that the attendant told me that I had better be quiet, or I could be arrested, he said, well, "I can sure make sure that you never set foot on a southwest flight in your life again". The thing is, I pushed my mask back up one whole inch after she got so grouchy with me, and I complied with their stupid rule. He was going on and on about how I was "passing my germs around and was infecting people". My husband was an executive in charge of hundreds of people, and was appalled at how this guy treated me. I didn't do anything wrong! He said he would have been fired for treating a client like he did- embarassing me and making a scene like he did in front of the other passengers.    

Highlighted

New Arrival

Should People With Asthma Wear Face Coverings or Masks?

The CDC and the World Health Organization (WHO) both recommend that you wear masks or fabric face coverings in public where you can’t keep a proper distance from other people. The WHO recommends wearing a fabric mask that allows you to breathe while talking and walking too quickly. A face covering may not be best for everyone. According to the CDC, these people should not wear face coverings:

• Children under age 2
  • Anyone who has trouble breathing
  • Anyone who is unconscious, unable to help themselves or can’t remove the mask on their own

Some people with asthma may experience discomfort or have trouble breathing while wearing a face covering.

https://community.aafa.org/blog/what-people-with-asthma-need-to-know-about-face-masks-and-coverings-...

Highlighted

New Arrival

Unfortunately you are wrong.  I have allergy induced asthma which means I will have an asthma attack when I unknowingly eat something I'm allergic to.  I didn't become allergic to some foods until my late 40's and it was discovered when I ate a taco salad at a local restaurant that I'd had dozens of times in over 10 years.  In the 10 minutes from when we left the restaurant until I got home I started wheezing for the first time and then itching terribly and just wanted to crawl in bed but when putting on pajamas I could watch a rash start spreading all over.  I called nurses line and she said OK for my husband to drive me to hospital which was only about 7 minutes away as long as we had cell phone to call 911 on the way if needed as I was having difficulty breathing by this time.  At the hospital they rushed me back as I was having my first asthma attack.  All we could determine is that a cook at the restaurant which has shrimp on the  menu and I never eat may have accidentally dripped shrimp juice into other ingredients on the line which ended up in my dinner.  Now if I have something that triggers wheezing I take benadryl to stop it as the ER wasn't fun and it was the IV fluids were painful and burned while administered slowly.  I have now had 3 asthma attacks and they have only been mask induced as if it's something I ate it happens within about 20 minutes and I had not eaten in an hour or more before going into building that required a mask.  My 1st 2 times it was within 10 minutes of putting on mask and having my breathing restricted that I started wheezing so since I didn't have perishables in my cart I abandoned my cart and exited to take of mask as quickly as possible and within 10-15 minutes my breathing cleared up - without medication - by the time I arrived home. It was the removal  of the mask allowing me to breath that helped.  The 3rd time once the wheezing started about 9pm at night I got the mask off as soon as I could but within 10 minutes I went from wheezing to difficulty breathing.  As soon as we got home I spent 10 minutes tearing through all the drawers in our bathroom and anywhere else I could think and was completely out of Benadryl.  I told my husband we needed to run to closest store a mile away where I could get some as if I didn't take some soon and see if it would work within 20 minutes we would have to go to ER.  My husband grabbed his keys and we jumped in car as I wasn't going to stay home alone in case I stopped breathing.  He pulls up in front of door and says he can't go in as he doesn't have any shoes on - he ran out of house too fast.  I had to run in and of course pharmacy is always in the back and was panicking when I couldn't spot the pink box right away.  I found it and then ran to self check out as only 1 register was open and the manager was helping the cashier with a customer.  My CC chip wasn't working and I'm still in panic mode as I'm gasping for breath.  I ask the manager if there is another register to open (gasping between each word) as my card was having issue and I was having asthma attack.  She took me right to another register and my chip still wasn't working and she tried swiping and for unknown reason still not working - she said just take it and go.  I said I wanted to pay and dug out another card as fast as I can and it worked and I got out of there.  I didn't wear a mask in and believe me not one person said anything about it as I was clearly in distress.  I swallowed a couple pills and within 15 minutes my airwaves were opening up which was a good sign and withing 30 minutes the wheezing stopped.  So take it from someone with 1st hand experience who after about 10 years knows how to spot the 1st signs of attack and what I was doing in the previous 10-20 minutes to know what the trigger was