Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

May my SWA companion leave the play at the layover stop?

JFalc
Explorer C

I have a particular factual question.

For a wedding, I am coming back from CHS to OKC through BNA (  CHS-BNA-OKC  )

My mother has a need to go from CHS just to BNA.

If this was allowed, could I 'companion' my Mom on the CHS-BNA-OKC flight, and she just never gets on the BNA-OKC leg?

Is that allowed?

(This would be a one-way flight--not round trip).

Of course, she would NOT check a bag.

So, may my SWA companion leave the airport at the layover stop?

Or, alternatively, can I add a companion to ONLY the first leg of a two leg flight?

Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: May my SWA companion leave the play at the layover stop?

dfwskier
Aviator A

Officially: skipplagging which is prohibited.

Unofficially, no big deal. Southwest is  not as upset about it as the big 3, and even they only go after people that do it repeatedly.

No You cannot add a companion to  just the first leg of a flight with a connection.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A
Solution

@JFalc wrote:

I have a particular factual question.

For a wedding, I am coming back from CHS to OKC through BNA (  CHS-BNA-OKC  )

My mother has a need to go from CHS just to BNA.

If this was allowed, could I 'companion' my Mom on the CHS-BNA-OKC flight, and she just never gets on the BNA-OKC leg?

Is that allowed?

(This would be a one-way flight--not round trip).

Of course, she would NOT check a bag.

So, may my SWA companion leave the airport at the layover stop?

Or, alternatively, can I add a companion to ONLY the first leg of a two leg flight?

Thanks.

Leaving in the middle of a flight is usually "bad" - however the companion would be flying "free" anyway so it's not like this would be happening to save money and you would be happy to book it this way if the software allowed it.

• You could probably do this without major repercussion, but no warranty on that.
  • See if the airport staff can make the cancelation at BNA.
  • If you do call and they can do this it will mess up your ability to self-service change the flight, and also the companion will lose the A-list continuity if you are also A-list.
  • Can you book a multi-city itinerary from CHS to BNA, and then BNA to OKC in which case you could self service this by adding companion only to the correct leg. Plus extra segment for you if it matters.

I Hope this helps!

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

bec102896
Aviator A

Keep in mind this could backfire should any IROPS occur causing you to be rebooked to a different layover city 

JFalc
Explorer C

Thanks everyone for the responses.  (I did look at the booking separate legs for me, but it was cost prohibitive and didn't result in any benefit)

From the responses, I will just book her separately (without companion'ing her).  

I am the 'rule-follower type' and don't want or need to get crossways with SWA.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@JFalc wrote:

From the responses, I will just book her separately (without companion'ing her).  

I am the 'rule-follower type' and don't want or need to get crossways with SWA.

This is a good policy to follow. Keep an eye on the fares in case you can make it work as separate tickets for yourself through BNA but otherwise booking separate may be the best path.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.