Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Passenger of Size, exit row question.

BearInThere
Explorer C

I fly Southwest weekly and typically purchase an additional seat to be more comfortable. I’m a big guy and the seats have only gotten smaller. I don’t pre-board(it’s not on my boarding pass) and I don’t need a seatbelt extender. 

I typically sit in the exit row and haven’t had a problem until this week. I was told I can’t sit in the exit row and forced to move even though I meet all of the criteria to sit in the exit row. 

Can anyone provide clarification on this policy and point me in the direction of some documentation that prohibits me from sitting in the exit row?

Thanks! 

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Passenger of Size, exit row question.

dfwskier
Aviator A

the ru;le is:

Who Cannot sit in emergency exit row?

"Passengers who are accompanied by a person who may require assistance during an emergency evacuation, including small children (less than 8 years old for domestic flights or less than 12 years old for international flights), elderly persons or persons with disabilities cannot focus on providing assistance in the event ..."

So I guess the assessment was made that your size was enough of a disability that it would have prevented you from being able to assist other passengers evacuate the plane in the event of an emergency.

BearInThere
Explorer C

Which is really funny because I’m a firefighter/paramedic. I’m probably best equipped to assist. 

floridaguy
Aviator C

You could block the exit due to size.  That is a fact, not fiction.

I applaud the flight attendant for looking out for everyone's safety.  

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@BearInThere wrote:

I fly Southwest weekly and typically purchase an additional seat to be more comfortable. I’m a big guy and the seats have only gotten smaller. I don’t pre-board(it’s not on my boarding pass) and I don’t need a seatbelt extender. 

I typically sit in the exit row and haven’t had a problem until this week. I was told I can’t sit in the exit row and forced to move even though I meet all of the criteria to sit in the exit row. 

Can anyone provide clarification on this policy and point me in the direction of some documentation that prohibits me from sitting in the exit row?

Thanks! 

The terms of the Customer of Size offer includes preboarding, there could be some mix-up here.

I'm not sure why it would or wouldn't print on your pass. That's an interesting wrinkle of course that you are obviously getting A-list status by flying weekly so you don't need preboarding to guarantee finding a spot with two seats.

I'm thinking as opposed to someone walking up and buying COS tickets that would have regular boarding position in the B or C groups and potentially not find two spots together.

I'd pursue the angle of whether the COS implies preboarding or not. Preboarding passengers are also not allowed to sit in the exit row regardless of disability.

Personally I'm a big but not too big guy and the empty middle seat tends to take care of itself.

Also make sure if the FA is there to help direct traffic move over and sit in the middle seat yourself while they stand in the aisle, then they'll hold the aisle for you at the same time it isn't possible for anyone to take the middle until the very end.

Or if you are taking the window encourage anyone who wants that aisle to take the middle temporarily while the FA is there.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.