Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Same day change vs same day standby

bluemr2
Explorer C

With the new same day standby free for everyone, I'm confused about the same day change vs standby.

If I arrive at the airport and there's seats available on an earier flight (same destination), is that a same day change (fare difference applies except for AL and AL+)? Or is that same day standby and free?

Traditionally, standby means flight is full and after all passengers have boarded, and if I seat becomes available due to a no-show, then the standby clears.

Is there any difference in the same scenario on the app at midnight day of flight?

13 REPLIES 13

Re: Same day change vs same day standby

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@bluemr2 wrote:

With the new same day standby free for everyone, I'm confused about the same day change vs standby.

If I arrive at the airport and there's seats available on an earlier flight (same destination), is that a same day change (fare difference applies except for AL and AL+)? Or is that same day standby and free?

Traditionally, standby means flight is full and after all passengers have boarded, and if I seat becomes available due to a no-show, then the standby clears.

Is there any difference in the same scenario on the app at midnight day of flight?

Your example if you have a WGA fare would be standby, find out sometime between that moment and the flight time when the list is cleared if you made it, no fare difference. If not approved you keep your original flight.

Your example if you have A-list or WGA+ or higher fare class would be same day change and confirmed immediately, no fare difference, and you could do it "on the way" to the airport by phone or app, or in person.

Same day change allows the A-list and WGA+ and higher fares to confirm a change to a new flight, forwards or backwards of the original flight. As soon as it is requested, if it is available the confirmation will be made. This is offered at the airport or on the app or by calling.

Standby is not necessarily confirmed immediately, but if seats are available you would be "cleared" at some point in time to make the change, if there are limited seats available the airline might choose to build up a list of people who want to standby as the priority order applies, however if there seems to be ample extra seats you could be confirmed well before the flight.  Standby is offered at the airport only, so there's kind of a limited value to standby for a later flight but I guess it is possible - the vast majority of cases are going to be people getting to the airport early and looking to move up their flight.

No fare difference will apply for either program once they are going.

Currently as of this past weekend (found out the hard way @ MCO) the ticket agent was not willing to offer a standby without a fare difference for my wife.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

bluemr2
Explorer C

Thanks for the reply. I'm an A-Lister so I understand SDC.

Standby is now offered in the app or via the website, see below.  So, there is value in trying to catch an earlier or later flight.

Has SWA provided information how standbys will be cleared?  Is there priority? Or timeframe when standbys are cleared?  Say someone standbys at midnight, for a full late-morning flight.  Sometime that morning, a seat becomes available.  Will that seat be available for SDC for elites or WGA+ fares prior to the standby clearing?

Screenshot 2023-08-17 at 8.26.14 PM.png

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@bluemr2 wrote:

Thanks for the reply. I'm an A-Lister so I understand SDC.

Standby is now offered in the app or via the website, see below.  So, there is value in trying to catch an earlier or later flight.

Has SWA provided information how standbys will be cleared?  Is there priority? Or timeframe when standbys are cleared?  Say someone standbys at midnight, for a full late-morning flight.  Sometime that morning, a seat becomes available.  Will that seat be available for SDC for elites or WGA+ fares prior to the standby clearing?

Screenshot 2023-08-17 at 8.26.14 PM.png

One of the other messaging pieces that I saw said that standby would be available at the airport. Not sure if they are meaning you can use your app, but still have to be at the airport or if you can request it while still offsite. 

I'm not sure about the clearing process yet either - for instance if you standby on a later flight but don't get it, won't you have already missed your original flight?

Also kind of a rare scenario to be at the airport for your original flight and then request a later one. I have wished for this occasionally but generally if I'm there, then why not keep the earlier flight?

dfwskier
Aviator A

If you are A-List and can do a no cost same day change (confirmed), why would you even consider  going standby and running the risk of not getting a seat?

bluemr2
Explorer C

@dfwskier wrote:

If you are A-List and can do a no cost same day change (confirmed), why would you even consider  going standby and running the risk of not getting a seat?

Of course I wouldn't but I'm curious how same day standby affects me as a A-Lister.

Again, how does SWA prioritize standbys?  If my preferred flight is full, should I get in line on the standby list at midnight? And/or check the app occasionally to see if a seat becomes available?

SoCalFlyer97
Frequent Flyer A

@bluemr2 wrote:

@dfwskier wrote:

Of course I wouldn't but I'm curious how same day standby affects me as a A-Lister.

Again, how does SWA prioritize standbys?  If my preferred flight is full, should I get in line on the standby list at midnight? And/or check the app occasionally to see if a seat becomes available?

@bluemr2 I don't think this question about Same Day Standby priority order was directly answered should you as an A-List want to do a same day change but Same Day Flight change is not available. Here's the text directly from the policy of how Southwest prioritizes the standby list:

What is the priority order of the standby list?

1. Customers who are re-accommodated following flight disruptions
2. A-List Preferred and A-List Rapid Reward Members prioritized based on fare (Business Select, Anytime, Wanna Get Away Plus, Wanna Get Away)
3. All other Customers prioritized by the same fare order

https://www.southwest.com/help/changes-and-cancellations/same-day-change-same-day-standby

As an A-List member, if the flight you want to change to is not available via Same Day Confirmed Flight Change, you can do a Same Day Standby and you'll be placed on the standby list behind those who are on standby due to a flight disruption. A-List Preferred and A-List would be next in line each respectively sub-prioritized by fare class.

Everybody else prioritized by fare class. 

Gongola
Explorer C

I had an experience at Columbus about same day standby. I am an A-List member, I was first to list myself on standby for an earlier flight, I got to the airport and straight to the boarding gate, I was told to wait, A pilot came and he was 4th on the list, he was moved to first and cleared, another flight attendant came she was moved to second and cleared, I stood up and ask why are those at the bottom of the list being cleared and am not, she said and I quote " our staff are top priority ". I never knew the staff keep the airline in business and not the passengers paying for the staff to get a paycheck.  

bec102896
Aviator A

Maybe they were a deadhead so they can go to work because otherwise another flight could be canceled if they weren’t there. 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@dfwskier wrote:

So I wanted to do this on Tuesday traveling with my wife, but apparently the roll out was Wednesday so they wanted $421 for her ticket to be changed.

I took my A-list same day change, and we flew separately.