Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Southwest iOS App v. 5.10.2 - Exciting Updates!

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

I was excited to see some of the updates to Southwest's iOS app!  Here are a few highlights:

• Inflight Entertainment Player: Use the app to take you to the Inflight Portal where you can watch free live TV, listen to free music, play free games, access video on demand content, and now watch movies without having to download a separate app.
    (on equipped aircraft)
  • The app is now iPad compatible.
  • The app includes a new feature called Bag Sizer which helps you evaluate if your bag will fit into the overhead bin.  Take a look:

Select Bag Sizer from the menu.Select Bag Sizer from the menu.Follow the prompts.Follow the prompts. 

Update your iOS app, and enjoy!  Note that the Inflight Entertainment Player is also supported on the latest Android app update (5.10.2).

-A List, Companion Pass holder
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Southwest iOS App v. 5.10.2 - Exciting Updates!

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@elijahbrantley wrote:

I was excited to see some of the updates to Southwest's iOS app!  Here are a few highlights:

• Inflight Entertainment Player: Use the app to take you to the Inflight Portal where you can watch free live TV, listen to free music, play free games, access video on demand content, and now watch movies without having to download a separate app.
    (on equipped aircraft)
  • The app is now iPad compatible.
  • The app includes a new feature called Bag Sizer which helps you evaluate if your bag will fit into the overhead bin.  Take a look:

Select Bag Sizer from the menu.Select Bag Sizer from the menu.Follow the prompts.Follow the prompts. 

Update your iOS app, and enjoy!  Note that the Inflight Entertainment Player is also supported on the latest Android app update (5.10.2).

I'm imagining someone from my most recent BNA -> MDW flight looking at the bag sizer and thinking...well, it's only about 25% in the red, I can push it that much harder and get the bag in there.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

cdog99
Explorer C

You're probably not the right person to address this to, but found your post when I searched on "IOS".  I will look for others.

It would be nice if the developers still allowed the app to work with iOS 9.X.  I have an older iPad that still works great but Apple cut off updates at 9.3.5.  I had the same problem with an older iPhone and iPod.  It was extremely frustrating that I couldn't check in for a flight (or make a reservation) when the app no longer supported iOS 9.

Understood that the world moves on, but there are still a lot of vendors that continue to keep older app versions active.  It would be appreciated if Southwest did the same with their app.

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

@cdog, 

Thanks for posting on the Community! First, please know that we appreciate and use feedback from our Customers. If you want us to see and hear you, the Community is great place for that to happen. I think you'll find this Community is extremely responsive. You are likely to see a response from one of our Community Champions within a few hours (in most cases). That said, you don't need to publish the same comments in multiple places. 

Thanks for understanding and helping us keep the Community discussion boards functional and productive!

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@cdog99 wrote:

You're probably not the right person to address this to, but found your post when I searched on "IOS".  I will look for others.

It would be nice if the developers still allowed the app to work with iOS 9.X.  I have an older iPad that still works great but Apple cut off updates at 9.3.5.  I had the same problem with an older iPhone and iPod.  It was extremely frustrating that I couldn't check in for a flight (or make a reservation) when the app no longer supported iOS 9.

Understood that the world moves on, but there are still a lot of vendors that continue to keep older app versions active.  It would be appreciated if Southwest did the same with their app.

Unfortunately it seems that there is not a priority to support the prior versions of the iOS software and the best solution will be to use the mobile website instead of the app on those devices. (easier on the iPad, maybe less so on the phone compared to the app.)

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

thepicky1
Explorer C

Unfortunately the Bag Sizer feature is not available on the Android version {Galaxy Note 8; 8.0.0} Smiley Frustrated

I guess I'll have to ask a friend with an iphone to check my carry on and personal item to make sure I'll be in compliance.