Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Standby with Checked Bag

kasey97
Adventurer C

Today my daughter wants to Standby for an earlier flight.  But she has a checked bag.  Can that work?  If so, how?  She lives very close to her home/destination airport.  So i wouldn't be a huge problem if her bag was on a different flight than her.  If the bag was held at home airport.

1 REPLY 1

Re: Standby with Checked Bag

SoCalFlyer97
Frequent Flyer A

@kasey97 wrote:

Today my daughter wants to Standby for an earlier flight.  But she has a checked bag.  Can that work?  If so, how?  She lives very close to her home/destination airport.  So i wouldn't be a huge problem if her bag was on a different flight than her.  If the bag was held at home airport.

Hello:

Here is Southwest's Policy:

What will happen to my checked bag if I choose to travel standby?
When you choose to travel standby after checking a bag, you are voluntarily separating from your baggage. If you are cleared for your desired flight and your bag does not arrive with you at your destination, Southwest won't be responsible for delivery charges to get it to you.

https://www.southwest.com/help/changes-and-cancellations/same-day-change-same-day-standby

If you're still at the departing airport reading this, I would go to any SW Customer Service Counter (either the landside check-in counter or at any active SW Gate airside) and see if they can confirm status of the checked bag.

If they can confirm status...great! If not, upon arrival at your destination, I would go to and wait for your bag at the Baggage Claim area upon arrival but not expect it to be delivered. If your bags get transferred and delivered...great! If not, I would then go to the SW Baggage Claim office to confirm location status.

Hope this helps!