Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Teenager TSA Pre-Check

jw498
Explorer C

I recently saw that the TSA changed their policy on teenagers traveling with parents who hvae TSA - Pre. Before kids would have to enroll in TSA Pre for themselves after they turned 13.  So my 2 older kids already have it.  My son is currently 12 but will turn 13 in July.  We were going to enroll him until we saw that now teens 13-17 can go through the TSA PRe check line as long as they are with parent who is already enrolled.  The requirement is that they are on the same reservation as the parent  and have the TSA Pre check indicator on their boarding pass.  

I've never seen my son's boarding pass have the TSA Pre indicator on his boarding pass since he doesn't have a Known Traveller number.   I called SWA and they said they wouldn't issue that on his boarding pass without a KTN.  

Has anyone been able to get their teen through TSA Pre with this new TSA policy? 

Thanks. 

14 REPLIES 14

Re: Teenager TSA Pre-Check

dfwskier
Aviator A

The TSA website's wording about this is really ambiguous.

It says 13-17 YO's may access Pre "provided the children have the TSA PreCheck® indicator on their boarding pass."

I am only aware of two ways for a Pre indicator to end up on a boarding pass

1) You are the lucky recipient of a one time gifted Pre from TSA (random per my experience)  .or.

2) You have enrolled in TSA Pre

absent one of those things, I am not aware of a way for a Pre indicator to be on anyone's boarding pass. 

floridaguy
Aviator C

I agree.  It is a rather hollow announcement as they need to be on the precheck.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@jw498 wrote:

We were going to enroll him until we saw that now teens 13-17 can go through the TSA PRe check line as long as they are with parent who is already enrolled.  The requirement is that they are on the same reservation as the parent  and have the TSA Pre check indicator on their boarding pass.  

I've never seen my son's boarding pass have the TSA Pre indicator on his boarding pass since he doesn't have a Known Traveller number.   I called SWA and they said they wouldn't issue that on his boarding pass without a KTN.  

I think they mean that TSA Pre is on your / the parent's boarding pass. i.e. you might be enrolled but not get PreCheck for that particular flight in which case you'd both be in the regular line.

it's probably the same language on the parent's instructions - you can use PreCheck if it is on your boarding pass, independent of being enrolled. I think they are re-iterating that requirement.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

jw498
Explorer C

This is copied from the TSA Website

" Children 13-17 may join enrolled adults in the dedicated lanes when traveling on the same reservation and if the TSA PreCheck indicator appears on the child’s boarding pass."

It looks like it needs to appear on the child's boarding pass.  

There doesn't seem to be a way to get that indicator on the their boarding pass which makes this policy useless.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@jw498 wrote:

This is copied from the TSA Website

" Children 13-17 may join enrolled adults in the dedicated lanes when traveling on the same reservation and if the TSA PreCheck indicator appears on the child’s boarding pass."

It looks like it needs to appear on the child's boarding pass.  

There doesn't seem to be a way to get that indicator on the their boarding pass which makes this policy useless.

Maybe a different airline can do it that way then. I guess for the OP flying Southwest you should go ahead and get the kid signed up.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

floridaguy
Aviator C

To the best of my knowledge, pre check does not transfer or attach to anyone other than the individual human being who made the application.

jw498
Explorer C

Looks like I’ll be signing the kid up just to be safe.  What a joke. 

floridaguy
Aviator C

See if your credit card will reimburse you for TSA precheck and KTN.

bec102896
Aviator A

@floridaguy wrote:

See if your credit card will reimburse you for TSA precheck and KTN.

Look I actually agree with you here!! 

lots of credit cards will give you a code to get Precheck or reimbursement as a statement credit and no reason to lose out on a benefit 

I will add if your kid will travel internationally might consider global entry for a few bucks more and some credit cards cover that as well or a portion of that cost