Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Travel advisory information not current, I need to get home BEFORE the hurricane.

Cinderblock1
Explorer C

I have been trying to move my flight up a day so I can get home to sand bag my house prior to now Hurricane Michael.  The travel advisory is days old and has not been updated to include Tampa but includes New Orleans which isn't even in the cone.  It is now predicted as a Cat 3 and a Tropical Storm watch is issued for Tampa.  Update the advisory so I can change my flight without the $400 upcharge. PLEASE!!!!!!!!  You are DAYS behind the forecast and my home is likely to flood form this storm.  

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Travel advisory information not current, I need to get home BEFORE the hurricane.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Cinderblock1 wrote:

I have been trying to move my flight up a day so I can get home to sand bag my house prior to now Hurricane Michael.  The travel advisory is days old and has not been updated to include Tampa but includes New Orleans which isn't even in the cone.  It is now predicted as a Cat 3 and a Tropical Storm watch is issued for Tampa.  Update the advisory so I can change my flight without the $400 upcharge. PLEASE!!!!!!!!  You are DAYS behind the forecast and my home is likely to flood form this storm.  

You should reach out directly to customer service to find out if a change in your itinerary will be possible as an exception. I haven't seen the weather reports that are indicating a severe impact to the TPA airport, without that you'd need to ask for an exception.

Also if TPA is added, there will be a rush to make changes so if your house is at stake I'd pay the $400 in order to beat the rush.

Note that the accomodation notice isn't retroactive though, so if you pay the $400 and TPA is subsequently added to the accomodation list, you won't be entitled to a refund of the $400. That's the trade-off to guarantee your spot in advance.

I had this problem once before with ice-storms in Nashville (ironically on the way to Pensacola) that I paid to avoid and then the original flight was canceled, if I had waited then I would have kept my WGA fare intact for the reschedule. Your risk will be that by the time TPA is added (if it is ever added, it may not be) you may only have flights avalable after the storm if the seats are already taken now prior to the storm as potentially indicated by the pricing.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Re: Travel advisory information not current, I need to get home BEFORE the hurricane.

dfwskier
Aviator A

The current wether forecast says the panhandle will be affected - not so much Tampa. If that changes, Southwest would change it's travel advisory. Panama City looks like it will take a direct hit. As to why New Orleans is listed, that is a good question.

https://weather.com/storms/hurricane/news/2018-10-07-florida-hurricane-emergency

chgoflyer
Aviator A

I do agree that it's odd Southwest has included New Orleans, but the good news is that right now all predictions are for only minor impact for Tampa.

MAX_WEB_TROP_ATL14_swath_1280x720.jpg

bec102896
Aviator A

I also thought it was odd that they included new orleans 

Right now the biggest impact for Tampa might be some rain and storm surge but not as severe as Tallahassee area since Tampa wont be hit by the hurricane it self (unless the path changes) 

bec102896
Aviator A

@Cinderblock1

The travel advisory has been updated and now includes TPA  for travel the 8th-10th 

Blake 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

Here is the link to @bec102896's post for @Cinderblock1:

EDIT: whoops, I see Blake already tagged you

https://www.southwestaircommunity.com/t5/General-Travel-Policies/Hurricane-Michael-UPDATED-travel-ad...

Good luck! I hope the sandbagging isn't necessary, but if it is that you are able to get there in advance to take care of it.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.