Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Exit row issue

sipesl
Explorer C

I boarded my flight at San Jose airport this morning, and all was going smoothly. That was until two rude flight attendants told me I could not sit in the exit row with a small seat pillow. I use this pillow to sit on on flights longer than 2 hours, as airplane seats have become intense uncomfortable. It is not a medical device nor am i physically impaired in any way. I tried to explain this, to no avail. The stewardess's were rude and condescending. They proclaimed to tell me “I was only able to get away with using it in the past because I hadn’t gotten caught.”. This was completely uncalled for and unprofessional. 

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Exit row issue

SoCalFlyer97
Frequent Flyer A

@sipesl wrote:

I boarded my flight at San Jose airport this morning, and all was going smoothly. That was until two rude flight attendants told me I could not sit in the exit row with a small seat pillow. I use this pillow to sit on on flights longer than 2 hours, as airplane seats have become intense uncomfortable. It is not a medical device nor am i physically impaired in any way. I tried to explain this, to no avail. The stewardess's were rude and condescending. They proclaimed to tell me “I was only able to get away with using it in the past because I hadn’t gotten caught.”. This was completely uncalled for and unprofessional. 

Hello-

Sorry to hear this happened to you. As this forum is customer-to-customer, this board unfortunately cannot process your letter. I would send your letter in an email directly to Southwest Customer Relations:
https://support.southwest.com/helpcenter/s/email-us

Click on "complaint", "Inflight Experience", "Onboard Experience" and complete the form. Allow a few days for the airline to reply.

I understand that the rules of the Exit Row seats have to be obeyed and I'm not sure what the rule is regarding seat pillow usage but the Flight Attendants generally should address this in a professional and hospitable manner. Be sure to describe in detail of how you were approached when they saw the pillow as this will help management with any needed corrective action.

ps. Did you fly out from San Jose Mineta Airport in California or was it San Jose Costa Rica? If CA, I was at SJC a few weeks ago too and had a chance to walk through the entire airside corridor. Details:

https://community.southwest.com/t5/Inflight-Experience/Feb-24-Southwest-Flight-Photo-Trip-Report-San...

20240223_151852.jpg

Re: Exit row issue

floridaguy
Aviator C

What you were told is true.  You cannot have that stuff floating around in an exit row as it inhibits the safety of other passengers in the event of an incident.

You need to find another seating area if you are bringing the device.

Whether it is a medical device, or not has no bearing on the issue.