Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Preboarding scam

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@floridaguy wrote:

I've heard people say that if they want a second seat they have to buy it.

Not on Southwest, you'd have to scan both boarding passes, since you can't do that then one ticket would be a no-show. It is limited to customers of size which have a specific ticketing methodology (the second ticket is never scanned) or musical instruments:

https://www.southwest.com/help/baggage/special-baggage-sports-equipment

DancingDavidE_0-1688578497586.png

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

gtws2469
Explorer C

Understood about the people with disabilities, and I wouldn't want to force them to disclose. 

I think the only solution is to allow the A boarding group to board first since those seats are paid at a premium. That's really what the complaint is. Airlines can't force people with disabilities to sit in specific seats or at the rear nof the plane either - the exception being emergency rows. I guess I start buying the cheap seats and carrying a cane.

What irritated me is that in this situation, the people weren't really preboarding - the A group was called, and the people in question had C boarding passes and cut in front of all the A group.  This just felt of entitlement and cheating the system for those that paid for premium seats. This is why this was frustrating - especially after the Southwest announcement stated that if you miss your boarding call, then you miss the opportunity to board with the group called. 

I fully support those with disabilites and think they should be allowed the opportunity to have extra time to get themselves settled.

floridaguy
Aviator C

ATTENTION - ATTENTION

No, you can't have A list board first as that violates Federal law.  It doesn't matter if you pay an extra $100k to have position A1, the preboard people board the airplane first.

jksobonya
Aviator A

@gtws2469 wrote:

I paid a lot extra so I could board early so I wouldn't miss my bus home, and no southwest personnel did anything. 

What does this have to do with Southwest? It doesn't matter if you're A1 or C60, as long as you get on the plane, you'll get home and won't miss your bus ... I've been in the late Cs before and still managed to be in the first 10 rows of the plane. One time I was second row center seat. Even if you're in the very back, you should be off the plane in time to catch other public transportation. 

And you ended up in row 6. There's barely a few minutes difference deplaning at this point. 

--Jessica

mfields214
Explorer C

If they’re selling a product they can’t deliver, isn’t that a deceptive trade practice.  Why not simply disclose that others will be allowed to board first? It would eliminate the issue. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

@mfields214 wrote:

If they’re selling a product they can’t deliver, isn’t that a deceptive trade practice.  Why not simply disclose that others will be allowed to board first? It would eliminate the issue. 

Anyone that flies more than once, knows the pre boarders board first on each and every airline. 

mfields214
Explorer C

My flight was full which clearly indicates, Southwest’s policies aren’t hurting their bottom line any.  The flight attendants are always friendly and professional and the prices are cheap.  There’s really not much more to it.

SGomez
Explorer C

Same complaint. Paid for upgraded boarding and happened to be on a cruise specific flight. Had 22 wheelchairs plus their companions and numerous other preboarders. I was in the A1-15 and I think we got on after 50 people and I am now demanding a refund. If you pay for something you do not get, you should be entitled to a refund. It is funny how with all the other airlines you have to pay for what you get. PS. Delta is great! I have no issue with passengers that have disabilities boarding first but they are not paying for business select, 1st class or Comfort plus upgrades so they typically are not sitting in the first 10 rows. You have to pay for that luxury as they should with Southwest. 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@SGomez wrote:

Same complaint. Paid for upgraded boarding and happened to be on a cruise specific flight. Had 22 wheelchairs plus their companions and numerous other preboarders. I was in the A1-15 and I think we got on after 50 people and I am now demanding a refund. If you pay for something you do not get, you should be entitled to a refund. It is funny how with all the other airlines you have to pay for what you get. PS. Delta is great! I have no issue with passengers that have disabilities boarding first but they are not paying for business select, 1st class or Comfort plus upgrades so they typically are not sitting in the first 10 rows. You have to pay for that luxury as they should with Southwest. 

You can always ask - reach out to Contact Southwest Customer Service but I don't expect they would agree necessarily, the "Business Select" is offered to improve boarding position, get a coupon, and earn 12x points, and be refundable and all of those things did happen - the unlikely event of excessive preboarders (and perhaps any through passengers?)  made the outcome not as you expected.

That's one difference compared to the Delta offering there isn't more legroom in the front seats, etc. you are just buying a position, not a seat. (I usually go for exit row myself, but sometimes it isn't available, I'm  not usually trying for the front of the plane so this largely doesn't affect me.)

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

floridaguy
Aviator C

I will agree with you.  However, the fastest way around this issue is to simply not buy Business Select.  I do not see where it is a benefit.  With the number of wheelchairs and gate agents allowing more than one companion for each of those, you are correct that the plane fills up quickly.

I buy Wanna Get Away and get on the plane.  Sometimes I preboard, sometimes I don't.  However, I recently saw eight wheelchairs when going to New Orleans and the only one that appeared to need help was one.  The remainder were all in and out of the chairs multiple times running for candy bars, etc.  No, I'm not judging, but this is what I observed.

If you can run to go get a candy bar and back to the wheelchair multiple times, help me understand the need for the wheelchair to go down the walkway to the plane?

I am in favor of medical certification for preboarding just like a medical certification for handicap parking.