Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Passengers Alert Flight Crew of Luggage that dropped off conveyor well before take off

Kayo131
Explorer C

I had the worst experience on Southwest Aitlines on a flight from Orange County/Santa Ana to PHX.   Extremely poor customer service. Here is how is went...

Get to gate, and by the time I board mid Bs I am told roller bag must be gate checked.  Not happy but oblige, no choice.  Board plane, sitting and waiting for boarding to end and hear passengers all talking about a bag that they witness had fallen off  conveyor.   They alert flight attendants.   Then 15 mins later door closes and all same passengers are very concerned as nobody gets the bag!  They alert flight attendant again who claims they notified gate agent.  Everyone is like thr plane is leaving without anyone even getting the bag. Pictures are taken and we are all aghast.  

Well fast forward 60 mins flight time and guess what it was MY bag that was left there. On ground. Never made flight. Was made to check bag I didn't want to and carelessness and lack of customer service was simply unacceptable.  

Thank you Southwest for making my evening.  WOW is all I can say.  Who knows when my bag will be returned or what condition it will be in. 

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Passengers Alert Flight Crew of Luggage that dropped off conveyor well before take off

floridaguy
Aviator C

Completely unacceptable.  I would write to this week's CEO of Southwest and demand that you be compensated for luggage, time and trouble.

When I hear these stories, I am disgusted.

Re: Passengers Alert Flight Crew of Luggage that dropped off conveyor well before take off

SoCalFlyer97
Frequent Flyer A

@Kayo131 wrote:

I had the worst experience on Southwest Aitlines on a flight from Orange County/Santa Ana to PHX.   Extremely poor customer service. Here is how is went...

Get to gate, and by the time I board mid Bs I am told roller bag must be gate checked.  Not happy but oblige, no choice.  Board plane, sitting and waiting for boarding to end and hear passengers all talking about a bag that they witness had fallen off  conveyor.   They alert flight attendants.   Then 15 mins later door closes and all same passengers are very concerned as nobody gets the bag!  They alert flight attendant again who claims they notified gate agent.  Everyone is like thr plane is leaving without anyone even getting the bag. Pictures are taken and we are all aghast.  

Well fast forward 60 mins flight time and guess what it was MY bag that was left there. On ground. Never made flight. Was made to check bag I didn't want to and carelessness and lack of customer service was simply unacceptable.  

Thank you Southwest for making my evening.  WOW is all I can say.  Who knows when my bag will be returned or what condition it will be in. 

Oh No...

Sorry to hear this. This forum is customer-to-customer and unfortunately your claim cannot be directly processed here. However, to help you out and point you in the right direction:

i. Were you able to immediately initiate the claim with the SW Baggage Staff at the PHX Baggage Claim area after you noticed your bag was missing and got an incident number? This is a key step.

ii. You also mentioned that there was a lot of chat on the plane and pictures taken of the bag that fell off; were you able to supply this data to the Baggage Staff as evidence of your claim? If you already did, give Southwest the 5 days to locate and track down your bag; if you don't hear back after that period, I would follow up with them directly at:

https://www.southwest.com/help/baggage/lost-damaged-baggage

From the link above, click on "My baggage has been lost, damaged, or delayed or items are missing from my bag. What should I do next?" for the main baggage claim contact number.

iii. Be sure to save the receipts of all additional interim costs accrued from the baggage separation including immediate toiletry, medicine and clothing replacement. If you were able to get your baggage separation claim filed immediately at the PHX baggage claim area, these can be filed under your claim number via the link above for consideration for reimbursement.

iv. Once your claim closes, I would report the entire experience starting with the incident through how the Baggage Claim staff handled your claim directly to SW Customer Service so that management can process your letter and notify the local management at SNA. I would keep the letter 100% fact-based and omit all emotions so that the staff can easily process your letter and determine proper resolution.

https://www.southwest.com/html/contact-us/

Be sure to include any pictures you may have. If it turns out this issue was due to baggage handling negligence which is certainly not a Southwest standard, hopefully Customer Service can gift you with a LUV Voucher on top of any reimbursements that may be due to you from the baggage separation.

All the best in your travels!

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Kayo131 wrote:

When is a good question, but there's no reason to think it will be mangled unless you saw it get run over by a ground vehicle. I hope you were able to get compensation, keep us posted.

I did see this once at DAL where a tight turn on the baggage cart let an item fall off and a few thousand people could see it from the concourse gate area. Eventually someone picked it up - at least that was a checked item, that's not quite on your level with a forced gate check but it does happen.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.