Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Rewards Points different

skw56
Explorer C

I always schedule our trips and use my Southwest credit card.  We each have a reward number but my husband doesn't seem to collect as many points as I do. 

Why is that?  

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Rewards Points different

bballflyer
Frequent Flyer B
Solution

A single credit card will be linked to a single RR number even if you get an additional card for a spouse and charge on it.  A spouse can earn their own miles by getting their own credit card.  If you are talking about not getting the same points when you fly, that will be based on the fare type and your status.  Different fare types earn different points and A and A-preferred status earn additional points.

skw56
Explorer C
Solution

Thank you for responding.  I'm guessing I misunderstood their process.  When filling out the 'Who's Flying' for the 2nd passenger' there's a box to add his Rewards number which I add each time we buy flights.  

I'm going to guess its bogus.  

bballflyer
Frequent Flyer B
Solution

I assume the question is then directed toward flying.  If you purchase both flights on a SW credit card, the points for that purchase go onto the card and is allocated to the RR number associated with the card and you'll get those after the period closed.  The RR in the Whos flying, the flyer would get the points for the flight once they have flown.  If you booked two passengers, each would need their own RR number and they would received credit for for the flight once they have flown (usually posted to the RR count by the flowing day if it is a one way flight, if it is  RT flight it would not post until after the 2nd leg has completed.  If purchased using miles, they flier would not receive any points for the flight.  The amount of points posted to the account depend on the fare type, and the frequent flier status of the passenger.  So for example I am a A-Preferred so I get more points for that when I fly, but I usually book my flight as an IWG fare, while I book my husbands as an IWG+ fare so he can change his flights.  He will get a different multiplier of points for that vs the IWG, but no bonus for A status because he is not A status.