Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Time change/ canceled

Jupdachurch
Explorer C

My family and I love, love, love Southwest. Never, ever have we had a serious issue. Still haven't. 

Just trying to understand the logic behind a recent flight we were to take. We had been watching updates about hurricane Debby and all the way up to the day of flight, we check and saw "ON TIME", from MKE to TPA. The day came and we got a notification of delay, flight departing at 0955 reschedule for 1734 hours. 

We figured okay no big deal, an hour later 1634, then 20 minutes later 1212 hours. So we figured 35 minute drive let's get there early so we left at 0800. 

At 0814 we get an alert that we're no longer delayed and set for 0955 departure. So we freak and start hitting the peddle.

We get to the parking ramp grab our bags, start to run and get an alert 0845, canceled. 

I get you have to cancel for our safety. I respect that and fully appreciate it. I appreciated talking with your super overwhelmed customer support agent, that did a marvelous job with helping me. 

My only suggestion is, if there is a chance of cancellation. Keep the delay out there for 1734 and then cancel. Don't worry people that they're going to miss a flight, hurry to get there and then cancel. Just my two cents. 

Other than that, thank you for having a Warrior Spirit a Servants Heart, Fun loving  Attitude.

You regularly provide a safe and reliable experience, your crew on the grounds, behind the counter and over the phone provide top level service and low cost or efficient opportunities for my family to travel to Florida, Arizona and New York. 

Thank you!

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Time change/ canceled

bballflyer
Frequent Flyer B
Solution

I have found the early texts with status changes are not something reliable, they frequently start out early with a delay and as the time is closer to the flight the flight is back on schedule,  I would always plan on getting to the airport to catch the scheduled time;  however a canceled flight I believe can be reliable 

Jupdachurch
Explorer C

We've been extremely fortunate over the last 15 years of not having to experience this. So it was a first time thing and a learning opportunity on our end. It all worked out, the family and I ended up driving to a Waterpark resort nearby and there a six flags near by. So we're still blessed. 

We are SW lifers either way. They've been nothing but amazing to us.

SoCalFlyer97
Aviator C
Solution

Thanks for sharing!

I echo @bballflyer and always plan to be at the airport as if the fight were to depart on schedule. 

Note that the FAA could play a role in all this as they can issue unexpected stops or holds at airports due to weather or other safety reasons. I'm sure the FAA issued restrictions for TPA due to Hurricane Debby. SW may have very well had an alternative aircraft and a crew ready to go at MKE; thus reverted your flight to "On Time" status, but then the FAA may have discovered weather was dangerous at TPA and said "Nope" and then issued some kind of stop for TPA. That could have placed SW in a position to later scrap the flight in question. Speculation on my end but my opinion is based on Debby.

Glad you were able to make light of the situation. I try to do that and make sure I have back up plans ready to go whenever I'm faced with a disruption.

More info on FAA's National Airspace System Status:
https://nasstatus.faa.gov/list

Jupdachurch
Explorer C
Solution

Thank that makes sense too me.

I personally was telling individuals at the airport, this always is a tough decision for airlines. Yet the that the FAA does it for our safety. 

Thank you again.