Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Checked luggage with standby

iureport
Explorer C

Traveling Saturday (10/28) from IND>RSW on a 2:30 pm connection. There is a nonstop at 1:55 on which I would like to fly standby. 

The challenge is luggage. I will have at least one checked bag. If I check in for my original flight and then make the earlier nonstop flight, what will happen to the luggage?  Is it transferred or does it still go on the later flight? If I take the earlier flight, will my luggage be pulled (e.g., Patriot Act reasons)?  

Any thoughts or experience here? 

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Checked luggage with standby

dfwskier
Aviator A

Your bag will likely travel on your orignal flight.

Why not take it to the gate and gate check it for whatever flight you end up on?

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@dfwskier wrote:

Your bag will likely travel on your orignal flight.

Why not take it to the gate and gate check it for whatever flight you end up on?

Agreed - standby may not be cleared until right before take-off so the baggage handlers wouldn't have time to grab it from the other cart and switch it.

Make a gate check and you should be good. 

Which method of standby are you using? If you are eligible for the same day change you may be able to be confirmed for the other flight when you arrive and check the luggage.

Ask when you arrive, if it was sufficiently likely to standby they may do the opposite and check your luggage to the non-stop but then wait and see if you actually make it. 

The trick I learned from @bec102896 is go to on the website and start to buy 8 seats for the desired flight and see if you can - if yes then there are at least eight seats open and chances are better. If there are only a handful of seats open (or none at all) then chances aren't so good.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

iureport
Explorer C

Great suggestions.

The problem is that my luggage is NOT carry on; I do not think I can take full-size baggage through TSA.  If I can, then I agree that it solves the problem. 

Otherwise, I guess I take the luggage to the counter and hope I can get the agent there to give me some advice.  

Thanks.

dfwskier
Aviator A

I will admit this happened a long time ago on another airline, but the person charged with taking my checked bags told me I was too late to check them, but that I should take them to the gate

1 Pair Skis

1 large Suitcase

1 Boot bag

1 computer case

The first two were were checked at the  gate as luggage.

Getting everything to the gate about killed me.

dfwskier
Aviator A

found this on the web

"Can you take full size suitcase through security?

No. You won't get through security with a bag that does not fit on the xray conveyer. It might be true in some airports that you can not get a full size suitcase to the gate, it is certainly not true in all airports. I have seen full size cases at the gate of more than one airport.Jan 6, 2022"

So the rule of thumb is that if it fits the x-ray bag screener, then you can take it thru security

edit add: a bit more on the topic:

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@dfwskier wrote:

found this on the web

"Can you take full size suitcase through security?

No. You won't get through security with a bag that does not fit on the xray conveyer. It might be true in some airports that you can not get a full size suitcase to the gate, it is certainly not true in all airports. I have seen full size cases at the gate of more than one airport.Jan 6, 2022"

So the rule of thumb is that if it fits the x-ray bag screener, then you can take it thru security

edit add: a bit more on the topic:

I'm having deja vu that I did this before, probably because I was under the 45 minutes and the ticket counter said to take it with me because I wasn't going to make it (I made it).

I agree with the comments that if it fits through the screening equipment you are good to go taking it through the airport, it's up to the gate agent to reject you from carrying it on and most airlines are happy to gate check items to speed up boarding.

If you were trying to get onto an empty flight with plenty of space just carry it on. But in your case with four seats open you'll be gate checking.

Sidebar: you get two free checked bags with Southwest anyway - take two smaller ones if your big one is going to be too large for this plan.

bec102896
Aviator A

As of this posting (5:30pm 10/26) there are 4 seats left on the 1:55pm flight. 

do you have A list or WGA+ fare if so you can do same day confirmed at midnight day of departure 

Keep in mind as standby you may not be given a boarding pass until boarding has begun so odds are you will be in a middle seat for 2 hours in case that’s a deal breaker for you. 

rescue_96
Explorer C

Is it okay to request extra luggage or seats from third party travel agencies like flightalternative

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@rescue_96 wrote:

Is it okay to request extra luggage or seats from third party travel agencies like 

I'm not going to click an unfamiliar link but if the idea is for strangers to take your luggage then I think there are a lot of obstacles.

You can easily pay for an extra bag, I don't know if you are familiar with Southwest but you get two free checked bags to start with which is sufficient for most travelers.

I'm not sure what you mean about extra seats. Southwest doesn't participate in any third-party discount websites so if that's involved then no.