Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Companion Pass Boarding

kcullimore
Adventurer C

I have had a companion pass for the last 10 years or so. It is a great benefit for those of us who fly a lot. My wife travels with me often as my companion. 

My "first world" problem is that because I am an A-List Preferred, I am always A16 or so. Since she is a companion, even if we book early, or do the early bird checkin, she is often a late B. 

It would seem to be beneficial to allow a companion to be loaded with the companion.  Even if the system had to do a A-20 and an A-20 companion.  I always save her a seat, and generally it is not a problem. But it has been on occasion. 

So Southwest....what do you think?

56 REPLIES 56

Re: Companion Pass Boarding

bkmcae
Explorer C

I'd like to see something done about this too, but I don't think giving companions a spot in line with the pass holder is the right idea. If I'm A17, I don't want a companion standing ahead of me because her companion has A16. Maybe allow companions to board after family boarding? I agree it can sometimes be awkward to save a seat for a companion. I usually hold down the middle seat and then slide over to the window when my companion arrives.

kcullimore
Adventurer C

While I agree that it has an appearance problem, what difference does it make to you at A17 if A16 has thier companion with  them. They were going to save a seat anyway, so it doesn't really impact you differently.

There are so few companions on each flight (probably not more than 1 or 2) that I don't think giving them the same number boarding is really problematic.  And it would stop some of the the "seat saving" that is a problem. 

slpacheco82
Explorer C

I too have this first world problem. I've held a seat and have only had one time where I got grief from another passenger. Here's a solution that'll keep the A listers happy, while reducing this 'problem'. Give companions the first spots after the A list, but before the early birds. Then you keep both groups happy 

kcullimore
Adventurer C

That would work as well.  

Is anyone at Southwest listening?   I know it is a small problem but one with an easy solution. And it is a problem for your most loyal customers. 

I think we would be happy with any solution that works. 

qwertyzap
Explorer C

Ha, my wife just stands in line next to me and boards with me regardless of her boarding pass. Sure not the fairest thing to do, but I would end up saving her a seat anyways. 

russcro
Explorer A

@qwertyzap wrote:

Ha, my wife just stands in line next to me and boards with me regardless of her boarding pass. Sure not the fairest thing to do, but I would end up saving her a seat anyways. 

The gate agent doesn't send her to the back of the line... or at least to her proper place in the line up? I regularly see people who try to ''buck" the line denied boarding until it's their turn.

kcullimore
Adventurer C

We have done that as well. It really depends on the gate agent. I would say about half the time, they do not allow it. 

hockeydiva
Adventurer B

I share this first world problem, but my companion is a kid. If it were my spouse, I think we'd be fine boarding separately. The child is young enough that gate agents generally let us board together, but we always make a plan in case the child has to wait to board.

FASTRS
Explorer C

I agree with this first world problem, normally I just hold a seat for my girlfriend. It would also be nice if they could come though TSA Pre Check when they are flying with you.