Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Disabled people cheating to board early. – PROBLEM SOLVED!

MelanieBarkley
Explorer C

This post is recorded as solved, but I just wanted to point out a few things. If anyone reads this in the future. 

FAA requires people with some conditions to sit in certain areas of the plane.  For example I use an oxygen concentrator.  I am required to sit in a window seat only.  That means I must pre board to ensure I attain that seat.  There are extremely tight regulations on oxygen use, and I can’t fly without it.  This is only one example, but I’m sure there are others.

Also, HIPPA is a law that protects people’s medical privacy, and it means that the airline can’t ask why someone needs to preboard.  Nor should someone be forced to provide potentially embarrassing information to satisfy your curiosity/neediness.

The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) is a law that means you can’t make people pay for for accommodations based on their disability needs.

floridaguy
Aviator C

You are correct about the oxygen but incorrect about what you call "HIPPA".  It is actually "HIPAA" (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act) and it governs how COVERED ENTITIES handle Protected Health Information (PHI).  Southwest Airlines is not a covered entity under HIPAA so that is not what bothers them.

The Air Carrier Access Act, not the ADA, created rules for airlines.  The ADA is primarily for the employer community.

BLT1
Explorer C

The ADA covers far more than employers, it covers all access to disabled people. 

floridaguy
Aviator C

Yes, yes, yes.  Ok. 

I was attempting to show the prior contributor that HIPAA (or HIPPA as it was called) is completely, utterly and totally irrelevant to the issue. 

tmigneron
Explorer C

Just happened on my flight.  Took up first 5 seats, one family.  This after the lady blocked 5 seats in the terminal no one sat in.  Then she get on with her Louis purse, covers her eyes with an ey cover so no one can sneer at her, and reclines in her seat.

i was A list preferred and had bought boarding A3.

Board them after A…..with families.

come on Southwest, it’s not that hard!!

people in the A line talk about it every flight Ian on.

does not happen on other airlines!!

dfwskier
Aviator A

other airlines have assigned seats you have to pay for. That's why it does not happen on other airlines 

floridaguy
Aviator C

There are posts on this subject going back to 2006.  Until the Federal law changes, nothing will change.

As stated previously, this subject needs its own category due to the traffic generated.