Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Highlighted

Flying out of Des Moines Iowa

New Arrival

First time flyer here!  I will be flying out of Des Moines on the Oct. 27th.  Once I get in the airport do I go straight to the ticket counter (I have the Early Bird upgrade) to get my boarding pass?  I don't have a printer here so can't print it beforehand.  Thankfully it's a rather smallish airport.  I have no idea if they have the self service kiosks.  I am so confused with everything!  Thank you for any advice. 

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted

Re: Flying out of Des Moines Iowa

Top Contributor

Welcome fist time flyer.  I remember the day --- a long long tme ago.

 

The process is easy and pretty strightforward. You'll do fine.  Remeber you'll need your confirmation number. Remember that you can check in via you rcomputer even if you get your boarding pass later. That's what I would do just in case you end up running late to the airport.

 

 

You have several options to get your boarding pass:

1) If you put the southwest app on your cell phone,  you can check in via phone and then the boarding pass would go to right to your phone

2) You could go to a library (no earlier than 24 hours prior to flight time) and print one.

3) You can visit a self service kiosk at the airport to print one (I think all airports have them)

4) You can visit the ticket counter and they'll print one for you.

 

Then it's on to the security screening, and then on to the plane. Boarding starts about 30 mintes before the scheduled departure so don't be late.

 

Window seats are a fun place to watch the world go by. If you want one, I hope you are able to snag one.

 

Have a great flight and enjoy the experience!

Highlighted

Re: Flying out of Des Moines Iowa

New Arrival

I had thought about going to  our Library to get one printed,  24 hours before the flight.  That way I have it and am ready to go.  I'm also going to check in online before.  I'm really excited for my big adventure.    I have flown before but not since 1994 so I feel like a first timer,  and I'm going it alone this time.    I always enjoyed the window seat,  the Earth is so beautiful from the air!   Thank you for your advice!

Highlighted

Re: Flying out of Des Moines Iowa

Top Contributor

@lilajune wrote:

I had thought about going to  our Library to get one printed,  24 hours before the flight.  That way I have it and am ready to go.  I'm also going to check in online before.  I'm really excited for my big adventure.    I have flown before but not since 1994 so I feel like a first timer,  and I'm going it alone this time.    I always enjoyed the window seat,  the Earth is so beautiful from the air!   Thank you for your advice!


You are most welcome. I remember my first flight, and it was an adventure -- an 8 year old flying from Chicago Midway to NYC Idelwild ( that does date me) now Kennedy. Yes, the world is beautiful from the air.

 

Have a great trip.

 

Have a great time.

Highlighted

Re: Flying out of Des Moines Iowa

Top Contributor

@lilajune wrote:

First time flyer here!  I will be flying out of Des Moines on the Oct. 27th.  Once I get in the airport do I go straight to the ticket counter (I have the Early Bird upgrade) to get my boarding pass?  I don't have a printer here so can't print it beforehand.  Thankfully it's a rather smallish airport.  I have no idea if they have the self service kiosks.  I am so confused with everything!  Thank you for any advice. 


Des Moines should be a pretty smooth airport. Are you connecting to another flight in St. Louis, Phoenix, or Las Vegas?

 

When you print your boarding pass at the library as @dfwskier suggested, download to your phone, or print at DSM kiosks or ticket counter you will get a second boarding pass if you change planes in STL, PHX, or LAS, and you won't have another one if you stay on your plane to the next destination or if one of those is your destination.

 

Let us know where you are headed and maybe we'll have some additional suggestions for the destination or connecting airports.

 

 

 

 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.
Highlighted

Re: Flying out of Des Moines Iowa

New Arrival

I have a layover in Nashville to change planes then on to Houston, there is a stop in SL but we don't even get off the plane. 

Highlighted

Re: Flying out of Des Moines Iowa

Top Contributor

@lilajune wrote:

I have a layover in Nashville to change planes then on to Houston, there is a stop in SL but we don't even get off the plane. 


I know the routes from DSM are limited, so when the flight goes DSM to STL many people will get off the plane to connect with other flights, you'll remain on to continue on to Nashville (BNA) - at that time after everyone is off and the "through" passengers are counted you'll be able to get up and change seats.

 

When you change planes at BNA you'll have to go through the boarding process again, but with Early Bird you should have a good position to find a window spot. There are a few good places to eat at BNA if you have time, plus local musicians. 

 

 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.
Highlighted

Re: Flying out of Des Moines Iowa

New Arrival

Thank you for the good information!  Much appreciated!

Highlighted

Re: Flying out of Des Moines Iowa

Active Member

Quick hint: If you plan to use the kiosk at the airport to print a boarding pass, put a piece of masking tape on your carryon and write your confirmation number on the tape. That way when you get to the airport you can find your confirmation number without having to pull out any pieces of paper or your phone. 

 

Or if you have a good memory, just memorize it.

Highlighted

Re: Flying out of Des Moines Iowa

Top Contributor

@StAugustine wrote:

Quick hint: If you plan to use the kiosk at the airport to print a boarding pass, put a piece of masking tape on your carryon and write your confirmation number on the tape. That way when you get to the airport you can find your confirmation number without having to pull out any pieces of paper or your phone. 

 

Or if you have a good memory, just memorize it.


That's a nice tip @StAugustine, thanks for sharing it. I have enough going on that I can't remember the numbers, that's for sure. 

 

 

 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.