Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Flying with Children

dbd0512
Explorer C

Wife and I are considering a southwest flight with our two young children. I have read about family boarding. Anyone have any firsthand experience with it? This will be the kids first time flying and I am afraid they will not do well if they can't sit beside one of us. 

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Flying with Children

dfwskier
Aviator A

Family boarding is limited to kids under age 7. If yours are, then you qualify.

Southwest boards by groups A,B, and C. Each has about 60 people in it. Families board after A group boards. Planes seat either 143 or 175 people, so there would be plenty of seats available after A boards. You should have no problem finding seats together.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@dfwskier wrote:

Family boarding is limited to kids under age 7. If yours are, then you qualify.

Southwest boards by groups A,B, and C. Each has about 60 people in it. Families board after A group boards. Planes seat either 143 or 175 people, so there would be plenty of seats available after A boards. You should have no problem finding seats together.

Don't go up during the preboarding - it is a common mistake - but stand off to the side there near where the preboarders are. After they go and then the A-group the agent should call for family boarding and you'll want to be ready to hop up there, regardless of your actual boarding pass letter and number.

Two adults per kid are allowed. 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

KathleenLillib
Explorer C

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. I will keep it in my mind.

Can you also help me in searching for a site online where I can find best essay writing service reviews? I will be thankful to you. I am not so good at writing an essay assignment.

floridaguy
Aviator C

Keep in mind that "Family Boarding" does not equal sitting together.  There is no provision for assigned seats so the idea that you board between A and B groups is only beneficial if you have a higher B or C boarding position.  If you already have an A boarding position, then you don't need family boarding.

cheyenneallgood
Employee
Employee

Hey there! Just jumping to say that while it's not guaranteed; as we don't have assigned seats so we can never guarantee seats together... Family Boarding is implemented when it is because there is a very, very high likelihood there will be seats together. I hope this clears up your question.