Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Flying with my kids, separate reservation - But linked

ArizonaBoiler
Explorer C

So I booked my flight using $. I then booked my two kids (15yr & 5yr) using points. The kids are on one confirmation number, and I am on another confirmation number (and my companion is on a 3rd confirmation number!).  I have the kids reservation "linked" to my reservation. I can see its linked under my account. Now when I go to check in, i'll get an A position (ALP), but will my kids go in sequential order behind me? With them being on a different confirmation number I wasnt sure. I'm scared they will get like B50, and i'll be stuck waiting with them to board so they don't have to board by themselves. Anyone been thru this scenario? Its a weird one. Thanks...

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Flying with my kids, separate reservation - But linked

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@ArizonaBoiler wrote:

So I booked my flight using $. I then booked my two kids (15yr & 5yr) using points. The kids are on one confirmation number, and I am on another confirmation number (and my companion is on a 3rd confirmation number!).  I have the kids reservation "linked" to my reservation. I can see its linked under my account. Now when I go to check in, i'll get an A position (ALP), but will my kids go in sequential order behind me? With them being on a different confirmation number I wasnt sure. I'm scared they will get like B50, and i'll be stuck waiting with them to board so they don't have to board by themselves. Anyone been thru this scenario? Its a weird one. Thanks...

We have done this many times, except that our kids are both younger. Family Boarding is definitely the answer with a few possible wrinkles.

With the five year old use family boarding at "A61" - the topic is subject of much debate, two adults may board with a child six years old and younger. It is vague about other children that are older than 6 but also not adults.

Most likely you all can board at Family Boarding.

As a possible method of stress relief, consider upgraded boarding for your older child if needed.

Otherwise the two adults and younger kid board at Family boarding and hold a spot for your older kid boarding in their regularly assigned position.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

floridaguy
Aviator C

There is nothing vague about family boarding.  For each child under the age of seven, up to two adults may board with that child.  

For a 15 year old, family boarding does not apply.  The only thing that I could consider would be if the 15 year old had their own child and then they would likely board with the child as an "adult".

I have researched this and found that while the above is correct, the gate agents don't always follow the rules.  

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@floridaguy wrote:

There is nothing vague about family boarding.  For each child under the age of seven, up to two adults may board with that child.  

For a 15 year old, family boarding does not apply.  The only thing that I could consider would be if the 15 year old had their own child and then they would likely board with the child as an "adult".

I have researched this and found that while the above is correct, the gate agents don't always follow the rules.  

So two adults, the 15 year old, and the younger kid can family board. 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.