Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Horrible travel experience in Columbus ohio

ramkumarmuthu
Explorer C

We as a family of 4(2 kids) wanted to go to Cancun and booked through southwest. I was supposed to travel from cmh to Cancun at 6 am flight from cmh airport. Was stopped by Roxanne, Southwest agent and she refused us boarding pass saying I need visa to travel Mexico. I am USA permanent resident and Indian citizen. I don’t need visa to travel to Mexico. Roxanne, 20 years in sw doesn’t have basic knowledge of travel needs to Mexico. We had showed Mexico travel guidelines to Roxanne from different websites and she didn’t pay heed to us. It’s horrible experience and had to miss 6 am flight. We tried rebooking again through sw by paying 1500$ from my pocket and it went through. She had a very rude behavior, felt racist as well and doesn’t know how to refund the original ticket as well. Not sure how sw is employing such ppl. Had travelled in sw in the past and never had a bad experience. I am at loss. Will not travel again in sw. Bye bye sw.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Horrible travel experience in Columbus ohio

bec102896
Aviator A

Sorry to hear of your experience I would use the contact us link at the bottom of this page fill out BF form so someone from Southwest can review what happened and hopefully get to the bottom of this and hopefully offer the refund or some compensation for the bad experience. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

Apparently, one does not need a visa to visit Mexico. One does need something called a Mexico Tourist Card.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A
Solution

@dfwskier wrote:

Apparently, one does not need a visa to visit Mexico. One does need something called a Mexico Tourist Card.

You would need to have your passport but OP didn't mention that as part of the issue.

If the OP was not a US citizen, then they need to show their US Visa to establish that they don't also need a Mexico Visa.

I would have said you can fill out the tourist card form on the plane but apparently they don't give those out onboard now, you are supposed to do it ahead of time for Cancun Airport. (NOTE: This website does not look "official" to me)

https://www.cancunairport.com/tourist-card.html

I can't believe that you won't be able to fill it out upon arrival though. I'm sure that's what I did on a recent trip to Mexico City.

So my money is on the Southwest staff was verifying the OP as an Indian citizen, who would have to bring proof of being a US permanent resident in order to not need a visa, otherwise Indian citizens do need visas:

https://www.handyvisas.com/mexico-visa/indian/#:~:text=Yes%2C%20according%20to%20the%20visa,tourism%....

But I do hope the fee can be sorted out due to the delay.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.