Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Online check in with lap child

katybrie
Explorer C

We are flying as a family of 4, with 3 purchased seats and one infant lap child. The lap child has already been added to my husband’s reservation. I vaguely recall not being able to check in online last time we travelled with a lap child and therefore getting a horrible boarding position. Is there anyway around this? Can my husband call to check in 24 hrs in advance if it doesn’t let him check in online?

Additionally my son has a purchased ticket but because he’s young his ticket is tied to mine. Will the same issue happen with us that we won’t be allowed to check in online? Do I have to check in first and then check him in?  I’d like to try to get A boarding group seats for our family and not wait until family boarding. I have the southwest credit card and could upgrade our seats but don’t know if I’ll be able to do that if the system doesn’t let us check in online.

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Online check in with lap child

dfwskier
Aviator A

It sounds like you should jut use family boarding so you don't need to worry about your boarding poition.

Re: Online check in with lap child

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@katybrie wrote:

We are flying as a family of 4, with 3 purchased seats and one infant lap child. The lap child has already been added to my husband’s reservation. I vaguely recall not being able to check in online last time we travelled with a lap child and therefore getting a horrible boarding position. Is there anyway around this? Can my husband call to check in 24 hrs in advance if it doesn’t let him check in online?

Additionally my son has a purchased ticket but because he’s young his ticket is tied to mine. Will the same issue happen with us that we won’t be allowed to check in online? Do I have to check in first and then check him in?  I’d like to try to get A boarding group seats for our family and not wait until family boarding. I have the southwest credit card and could upgrade our seats but don’t know if I’ll be able to do that if the system doesn’t let us check in online.

It should all be fine with the lap child on your reservation in advance.

The credit card upgrade you can do after you find out what your positions are anyway, and you'll also be able to use family boarding at "A61" so you may not need to use upgraded boarding.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.