Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: PRE BOARD NONSENSE

dwjr
Explorer A

Here's the very basic, elementary math in all this:

Southwest open seating policy + current rules/regs + Southwest's pretense that there's not a problem with abuse = The hugely unpredictable and often misleading value of A-List Select and A-List Preferred. Pretend or rationalize it all away as you will, but it's real.

Because the abuse by SW passengers is indisputable, I've taken the advice of many hand wringers and purported equity evangelists and moved to United (and I've requalified for A-List Preferred and Companion Pass status within 6 months each of the past several years). 

Just as I can't stand the injustice of people parking in handicapped zones without passes and repercussions, I choose not to witness the disrespect that SW shows those with real disabilities by allowing what is so obvious to occur. Yes, United has preboarders but the issue is mute given that seating is by reservation and is not open.

I'll gladly take a predictive, row 22 seat assignment on United rather than live a lie.  And (gasp) the Wi-Fi works on United and the cost is comparable.

The value of A-List Preferred to me was less about a close-to-exit seat assignment than a recognition of my loyalty to the Southwest brand.  I'm as patient as anyone when it comes to deplaning.  No, I'm not clairvoyant with respect to hidden disabilities, but the abuse is real and is exacerbated by SW's basic business model and unwillingness to use it's vast lobbyist clout to get more reasonable controls in place ... not too dissimilar from the extra steps members of my family have had to undertake to get their handicapped parking passes.  Trust but verify is the tenet in the handicapped parking enforcement world.  Quote the regs and turn the other cheek is Southwest's.

floridaguy
Aviator C

Southwest is complying with Federal Law.  On other airlines, those that preboard board first.

The issue is OPEN SEATING where the preboard also ends up with the best choice of seats.

Soon all of the preboards will be assigned boarding positions and the remaining six people will walk on the plane after.

kierants
Adventurer C

Hey SWA, fix the rampant pre board abuse or many of your most loyal customers will leave you.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@kierants wrote:

Hey SWA, fix the rampant pre board abuse or many of your most loyal customers will leave you.

Instead of just ranting, why don't you provide a "legal" way to do that.

floridaguy
Aviator C

...over the ocean blue...

Johnvback
Explorer C

The answer seems pretty easy. Pre-boarders should be required to proceed to the last row and completely fill all six seats. Yes, all last row seats which means middle seats have to be filled, too. Then all six seats of the next to the last row. And so on and so on. No exceptions. 

I remember way back in the old days when pre-board scammers took exit row seats. That problem has been fixed.

My solution means that pre-boarders are the last off the plane so they can take their time and they won't be rushed by regular boarders.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@Johnvback wrote:

The answer seems pretty easy. Pre-boarders should be required to proceed to the last row and completely fill all six seats.

You've clearly never read the criteria to qualify for preboarding, "Customers with disabilities who need a specific seat to accommodate a disability"

--TheMiddleSeat

Sneelock
Explorer C

After 4 flights in 2 days which each had over 25  pre-boarders- I'm over it. And breaking news states that SW has increased the maximum charge for earlybird check-in and upgraded boarding ( up to $149!).  That will surely increase the number of pre-boarders.

Also- SW policy regarding saving of seats ( they don't officially have one)  has also been put out there on social media and now abused.

Between the 2 policies- the abuse has gotten out of control.

I used to like no assigned seating  - but now I wish that Southwest had pre-assigned seating.