Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Pre-Board Abuse

Leroyn3691
Explorer C

Just boarded as #26 with an A2 boarding pass.  A majority of those boarding walked better than I at 83 years old.  They did not appear to require any special seating.  I do not begrudge those in need, however, I am being used and the system allows it.  

floridaguy
Aviator C

Yes, the system is abused day in and day out, just like the tax code.  

Scooter713
Explorer C

This is indeed an abusive situation, and it is one that has been deteriorating for years. Today was, however, the cherry on the Sunday. After purchasing a business select ticket, I was position A-5. When I boarded the plane there were already 42 passengers ahead of me, including a substantial line of healthy appearing young people who had pre-boarding. It goes without saying that the extra price of the business select ticket bought absolutely nothing other than the typically kind and sympathetic staff on board. While I have really enjoyed the service orientation and tremendous convenience of SW for many years, I will only tolerate this for short hops going forward and will spend the $$ on a reserved seat on another carrier for longer flights. Given the structure of the federal regulation and the willingness of so many people to shamelessly abuse the system, I don’t believe that SW can solve this problem without abandoning open seating. 

floridaguy
Aviator C

Nearly all systems are abused.  That's part of life.  I doubt that you always drive at the posted speed limit and I doubt that your first class mail with standard postage is always one ounce.  

With that said, no one is going to overturn the Air Carrier Access Act because of open seating on Southwest.  If you want an assigned seat, there are other airlines.  However, you will pay more.

I could have driven to the office today in an entry level Hyundai instead of my Mercedes.  However, the Mercedes is much more comfortable, powerful and fun.

Southwest is the Hyundai of transportation in this model.  No, you won't find high performance engines and premium leather on the entry level model. 

JameGumb
Explorer C

Interesting take. I do like the Hyundai anaolgy. Let me say this: it is part of life but that does not mean that you have to take it nor does it mean that you are barred from voicing your concerns.

SWA, over the last five or so years, has really gone downhill. It starts at the top. The CEO should be removed.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Scooter713 wrote:

This is indeed an abusive situation, and it is one that has been deteriorating for years. Today was, however, the cherry on the Sunday. After purchasing a business select ticket, I was position A-5. When I boarded the plane there were already 42 passengers ahead of me, including a substantial line of healthy appearing young people who had pre-boarding. It goes without saying that the extra price of the business select ticket bought absolutely nothing other than the typically kind and sympathetic staff on board. While I have really enjoyed the service orientation and tremendous convenience of SW for many years, I will only tolerate this for short hops going forward and will spend the $$ on a reserved seat on another carrier for longer flights. Given the structure of the federal regulation and the willingness of so many people to shamelessly abuse the system, I don’t believe that SW can solve this problem without abandoning open seating. 

You may have been on a through flight where people stayed on the plane at the connection. Next time double check that your flight number originates with your flight so there won't be anyone staying on the plane and who are allowed to move around prior to boarding.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

JameGumb
Explorer C

Balderdash! 

JameGumb
Explorer C

It can be solved but SWA does not have the will to solve it.

Jhonnybravo4321
Explorer C

I'm legally deemed disabled by the state but if u looked at me you would think there is no way he is disabled. So my question is do you think i should be able to preboard for free ?

JameGumb
Explorer C

Guess what? You're the exception. You of all people should be concerned when the policy is abused.