Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Seat saving

AndrewBurr
Explorer C

Hey folks. Recently flew from Baltimore to West Palm. Upon entering cabin saw first row had empty middle seat full of laptops and other stuff. I had to stare down the two fools in the aisle and window seats in order to claim this seat. I got no help from flight attendants. They would not make eye contact and ignored the confrontation. These two grown men then harassed me for the entire flight. Flight attendants witnessed this and looked the other way. I had to shove them off the armrests and fight for my space.  Fortunately I am perfectly capable. I communicated with Southwest and they sent me $150 voucher which I will probably never use. I’m done. They refuse to admit they have a problem and continue to allow bullies to run the boarding process. Saving middle space fore their on comfort and saving window and aisle seats for friends who did not register early. Not right. They know it.The most stressful issue their flight attendants have and they don’t give a hoot.

thanks for reading.

andy burr

14 REPLIES 14

Re: Seat saving

dfwskier
Aviator A

Andy, you got no help from FAs because seat saving IS NOT PROHIBITED.. It's not encouraged either.

As far as being harassed, did you ring the FA call button and ask for assistance? I suspect you expected the FAs to be clairvoyant. 

floridaguy
Aviator C

I've called Southwest at least four times on the subject of saving seats and have been consistently told that it is not permitted.

SoCalFlyer97
Frequent Flyer A

@AndrewBurr wrote:

Hey folks. Recently flew from Baltimore to West Palm. Upon entering cabin saw first row had empty middle seat full of laptops and other stuff. I had to stare down the two fools in the aisle and window seats in order to claim this seat. I got no help from flight attendants. They would not make eye contact and ignored the confrontation. These two grown men then harassed me for the entire flight. Flight attendants witnessed this and looked the other way. I had to shove them off the armrests and fight for my space.  Fortunately I am perfectly capable. I communicated with Southwest and they sent me $150 voucher which I will probably never use. I’m done. They refuse to admit they have a problem and continue to allow bullies to run the boarding process. Saving middle space fore their on comfort and saving window and aisle seats for friends who did not register early. Not right. They know it.The most stressful issue their flight attendants have and they don’t give a hoot.

thanks for reading.

andy burr

Hello-

The seat saving issue has been discussed numerous times on this board. I have not seen a written rule about this item: I don't see a clause in the policy that seat saving is allowed; I also don't see one that outlaws this.

It looks like you've already chatted with Customer Service about your incident and received a LUV Voucher, but for this circumstance as well as pre-boarding, my moral rule kicks in to keep the environment positive...Be proactive, be humble.

20230419_075051.jpg

Typically when I board Southwest flights, I look for the first open Window seat starting from the second row on...Since I typically board in the A-Group, I first look for a whole empty row first and claim the window seat but sometimes I'll notice upon entering the cabin that somebody is already occupying the Aisle seat, Middle, or both for the entire full first half of the plane on both sides, especially for through-flights.

At that point, I'll look for the first open Window and I'll ask if I can take the Window. Almost always, they'll let me sit there; if they claim it's "saved", I accept it and move on to look for the next available Window seat further back. That proactively averts unwanted altercations with my seatmates.

Likewise, I will do the same thing but in reverse if I'm seated with nobody else in the section. If the flight is not full and I find an empty row, I will not attempt to 'save' (i.e.: block) the other seats in the area. If somebody wants to sit in the open seats there despite how empty the flight is, I'll let them sit there.

kierants
Explorer B

I just flew last week and a woman was saving two full rows near the front for a group of people in the C boarding group. Combine this with pre board massive abuse and I am about done. I have flown this airline for over 20 years and earn companion pass and A list preferred every year but this is out of control 

navjag03
Explorer B

I recently flew back from Hawaii. A young woman preboarded (yes, she looked very fit walking around the airport,...but nevertheless) she saved two rows towards the front. Her family/friends from C group boarded and took the seats.  Another time, again from Hawaii, a woman saved both rows of the bulkhead seats (there were no wheelchairs this time).  Both times, the FAs did nothing. !!   One flight a passenger with a low A number saved all the seats in both rows of the emergency seats. The FA made a comment "oh you're being territorial." ,..and did nothing.   !?   That is ridiculous.   A good friend of mine, a SW Captain, and two friends of mine who are SW FAs said that is not going to change.  To avoid confrontations, saving seats takes priority over open seating.   Very aggravating.

buzzchris
Adventurer B

Replying to Navjag03:   I wonder if I was on the same flight back from Hawaii.   Going to Hawaii, I was in a wheelchair and got the bulkhead seats. I recently had spine surgery and also leg medical issues.  The bulkhead seats really helped. I was the only wheelchair. Coming back from Hawaii, I declined the wheelchair and was the first pre board to walk down the gateway with my wife. I was slow walking. Then a woman (another preboarder)  behind me ran (yes, ran) down the gateway, almost knocked my wife to the floor when she ran past us. We yelled to her and  she gave us the "finger" back.  She took the bulkhead seats and saved EVERY ONE of those seats. I told her I could really use one of the seats. She got very verbally confrontational.  I didn't want to fight so I took another seat which really really hurt my leg the entire flight. The FA wasn't around during the confrontation. 

PDFelter
Frequent Flyer B

I would have sat in the seat.  I'm ok with the saving of one or two seats, but not the whole row.

buzzchris
Adventurer B

In my last post about a woman saving all the bulkhead seats, I forgot to add:  She said if I am disabled, I shouldn't be flying in the first place.  Yes, she said that.  !!

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@buzzchris wrote:

In my last post about a woman saving all the bulkhead seats, I forgot to add:  She said if I am disabled, I shouldn't be flying in the first place.  Yes, she said that.  !!

But she was also preboarding?! Oh man I wish we had a way to rate the other passengers. Yikes.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.