Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Preboarding scam

gtws2469
Explorer C

Thought from tuscon to Denver....I understand disabilities needing more time and boarding first. Elderly? Maybe. Wheelchairs - absolutely. 

I paid for business select and had A1 boarding.. paid extra.  There was 3 wheelchairs and 3 elderly.  Then at least 4 overweight people with C boarding passes cut in front.  There was no disability.. they walked normal, no canes or other equipment. There were several others that also cut in front of A boarding.  I ended up in row 6 because of the so called needing more time, and reality proved they were fine other than overweight. 

I paid a lot extra so I could board early so I wouldn't miss my bus home, and no southwest personnel did anything. I could have just paid regular price if I knew this was the case. I should be compensated. Took pics too prove where I sat. Why offer business class if everyone is going to claim they need pre-board?. This scam is totally out of control....A group should be the first to board if this is going to be the new normal. Typically I can get the first 2 or 3 row seat.  Row 6?  I know southwest used to send these C boarders back to the end of the line. Sorry, but overweight is not a disability when they can walk normal. Precipitates should be restricted to the back of the plane in the last 10 rows. 

27 REPLIES 27

Re: Preboarding scam

floridaguy
Aviator C

This topic has been discussed so many times that it needs its own category or, even better, web page.

Under Federal law, those who self-declare with a disability are allowed to board first.  This applies to every airline where they board a plane in the US or territories.  No airline has the right to question you other than to ask some basic questions.

The issue here is that Southwest has open seating and, thus, those who preboard do get the first choice of seats.  Whether you see it as a scam is irrelevant.  Southwest must follow the law.

There is a little song that I hear in several of the airports that Southwest serves.  

airbornnne1
Explorer B

There can be action taken . Pre board must sit row 5 and back. No people board with them. This fraud needs to be addressed. Enormous  isn’t a disability it’s a lifestyle choice

KBayron
Explorer C

Then SW should not be selling upgraded seats....we all agree that those with disabilities should have priority boarding..and the law states as such. Clearly, SW having an open concept, it doesnt work.

mrsstats
Adventurer C

I have no problem with people with a disability preboarding and having 1 person go with them.   However, when you ask for a handicap parking pass for your car you must get proof from a doctor of your disability.   I still don't understand why the same doesn't apply with preboarding.   

dfwskier
Aviator A

@mrsstats wrote:

However, when you ask for a handicap parking pass for your car you must get proof from a doctor of your disability.   I still don't understand why the same doesn't apply with preboarding.   

Mybe becasue the law does not require it, and as a matter offact the same law prohibits airlines from asking for it.

bec102896
Aviator A

If a COS (customer of size) gets a 2nd seat they get to preboard it’s a real policy and it’s actually one reason those who do have extra weight like Southwest since they can get a 2nd seat for free and get to preboard to get the seating they need 

floridaguy
Aviator C

I've heard people say that if they want a second seat they have to buy it.

Anyway, all of this preboarding and complaining has been going on for a long time.  Here's a recent article that echoes the complaints.

https://bestlifeonline.com/southwest-wheelchair-policy-news/

bec102896
Aviator A

@floridaguy wrote:

I've heard people say that if they want a second seat they have to buy it.

Anyway, all of this preboarding and complaining has been going on for a long time.  Here's a recent article that echoes the complaints.

https://bestlifeonline.com/southwest-wheelchair-policy-news/

Not if your a COS you can buy ahead of time and get a refund after your flight or just wait till you get to the airport and ask the CSA for the COS extra seat and if you qualify they will give it to you and in most cases even if the flight is sold out they will oversell for a COS happened on my flight a few weeks a go since I thought they didn’t oversell but they will for that as well as aircraft swaps 

gtws2469
Explorer C

There's a difference between being a COS and just being large. What these "large" women did was to cut in line after the A group was called and snuck in as needing extra time. Then played it off like they were in line the whole time. 

As stated, if this is the game that has to be played - I'm going to start using a cane at the airport. If you can't beat them, join them. Apparently cheating is part of the rules, so that's what will happen. Pretty soon, A group will be last to board anyway, so might as well get something other than extra reward points - we didn't get a free drink either because the pilot said there would be turbulence - there was none - one of the smoothest flights I've been on. I didn't want a drink anyway, so that's basically irrevelant.