Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Pre-Board Abuse

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

@floridaguy 

So, I've been informed it's open seating that helps keep the prices down.  But who knows, this issue just isn't one that bothers me.  As an ALister, I'm sure this happens to me every flight, somebody from pre-board bags a row or two in front of me....so what.  

floridaguy
Aviator C

Please refer back to the original contributor.

Thank you.

Lukeshoulders
Explorer C

Actually a good idea. But should board business select first.  SW counter employee can't be asked to judge if seems disability is "true" and in this way those paying business select actually get choice of seat.  

Absolutely nothing more frustrating then paying the extra to be the 40th person on the plane.  And always, the preboards are saving seats.

parpitt1
Frequent Flyer A

This is actually the solution, if the prospective pre-boarder is unable to articulate one of the "above-listed reasons," as noted in the DOT issued guidance, there is no reason to pre-board. It is right there in black and white. 

Open seating has nothing to do with it.

Will SWA train gate personnel to ask the question in the appropriate fashion to filter out the scammers/abusers? I doubt it, because this takes additional time and there is potential liability if the SWA representative asks the questions incorrectly. (everyone is a jailhouse lawyer now and everyone has a cell phone that takes video.)

The pre-boarding abuse is real, the solution is there in the DOT guidance memo from 10 years ago.

floridaguy
Aviator C

As a passenger, I arrive at the check-in and announce to the agent the following:

"I need to preboard and am self-identifying as an individual with a disability who needs to do so to be seated."

If you use the term "extra time" you will be designated between Group A and Group B boarding.  So, use your words carefully.

Any further questioning inhibits a person's rights.  

Leroyn3691
Explorer C

Just boarded as #26 with an A2 boarding pass.  A majority of those boarding walked better than I at 83 years old.  They did not appear to require any special seating.  I do not begrudge those in need, however, I am being used and the system allows it.  

Scooter713
Explorer C

This is indeed an abusive situation, and it is one that has been deteriorating for years. Today was, however, the cherry on the Sunday. After purchasing a business select ticket, I was position A-5. When I boarded the plane there were already 42 passengers ahead of me, including a substantial line of healthy appearing young people who had pre-boarding. It goes without saying that the extra price of the business select ticket bought absolutely nothing other than the typically kind and sympathetic staff on board. While I have really enjoyed the service orientation and tremendous convenience of SW for many years, I will only tolerate this for short hops going forward and will spend the $$ on a reserved seat on another carrier for longer flights. Given the structure of the federal regulation and the willingness of so many people to shamelessly abuse the system, I don’t believe that SW can solve this problem without abandoning open seating. 

floridaguy
Aviator C

Nearly all systems are abused.  That's part of life.  I doubt that you always drive at the posted speed limit and I doubt that your first class mail with standard postage is always one ounce.  

With that said, no one is going to overturn the Air Carrier Access Act because of open seating on Southwest.  If you want an assigned seat, there are other airlines.  However, you will pay more.

I could have driven to the office today in an entry level Hyundai instead of my Mercedes.  However, the Mercedes is much more comfortable, powerful and fun.

Southwest is the Hyundai of transportation in this model.  No, you won't find high performance engines and premium leather on the entry level model. 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Scooter713 wrote:

This is indeed an abusive situation, and it is one that has been deteriorating for years. Today was, however, the cherry on the Sunday. After purchasing a business select ticket, I was position A-5. When I boarded the plane there were already 42 passengers ahead of me, including a substantial line of healthy appearing young people who had pre-boarding. It goes without saying that the extra price of the business select ticket bought absolutely nothing other than the typically kind and sympathetic staff on board. While I have really enjoyed the service orientation and tremendous convenience of SW for many years, I will only tolerate this for short hops going forward and will spend the $$ on a reserved seat on another carrier for longer flights. Given the structure of the federal regulation and the willingness of so many people to shamelessly abuse the system, I don’t believe that SW can solve this problem without abandoning open seating. 

You may have been on a through flight where people stayed on the plane at the connection. Next time double check that your flight number originates with your flight so there won't be anyone staying on the plane and who are allowed to move around prior to boarding.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.