Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

TSA Pre-check

kasey97
Adventurer C

My daughter experienced something weird recently while flying.  I booked her a one-way flite Austin to Phoenix on Southwest.  And a one-way flight Southwest to Austin on American.  She has a Known Traveler Number in her profile for both airlines.  On BOTH flites she was NOT designated as TSA Pre-Check.  So this occurred on two totally different airlines.  If it had been just one of the airlines I would speculate that maybe I entered her name wrong (with or without a middle initial, something like that).  But I'm certain that did not happen.  Since this occurred on both airlines, could this have been a wonky issue with the TSA software system or something like that?  Any ideas?

16 REPLIES 16

Re: TSA Pre-check

kasey97
Adventurer C

correction:  one way flite Phoenix to Austin

bballflyer
Adventurer C

It may be that the name you are entering on the reservation doesn't match the name on the KTN.  

kasey97
Adventurer C

it matches exactly.

SoCalFlyer97
Aviator C

@kasey97 wrote:

My daughter experienced something weird recently while flying.  I booked her a one-way flite Austin to Phoenix on Southwest.  And a one-way flight Southwest to Austin on American.  She has a Known Traveler Number in her profile for both airlines.  On BOTH flites she was NOT designated as TSA Pre-Check.  So this occurred on two totally different airlines.  If it had been just one of the airlines I would speculate that maybe I entered her name wrong (with or without a middle initial, something like that).  But I'm certain that did not happen.  Since this occurred on both airlines, could this have been a wonky issue with the TSA software system or something like that?  Any ideas?

Greetings-

I would first verify that KTN number is linked to an active, non-expired Trusted Traveler Program membership in Good Standing that includes PreCheck. If the membership expired (or if the traveler no longer qualifies), they will not receive the PreCheck benefit. If the account is still active and in Good Standing, verify that the name and date-of-birth of the traveler's profile for both airlines matches the TTP accountholder's profile as @bballflyer suggested.

Note that PreCheck is not guaranteed upon check-in. If the name and date-of-birth on the reservation matches and the TTP membership is in good standing, but still no PreCheck indicator on the boarding pass, the last option would be to either contact Customer Service by phone or approach a Customer Service agent at the airport on travel day for both airlines, advise them of the PreCheck issue, and verify whether the KTN was applied properly to the reservations in question and have them re-process the check-in/boarding pass. I've read that doing that sometimes will repair the problem but as mentioned, no guarantee. 

Hope this helps!

kasey97
Adventurer C

Thank you.  Everything matches exactly.  She has TSA precheck thru her Global Entry status.  It expires in 2028.  Her name is exactly the same in her frequent flyer profile for both airlines, in her reservations for the flites, and in her Global Entry/TSA profile.  She/we fly and travel frequently.  We didn't do anything differently when making these two reservations.  I was not with her during check-in for these flites.  It wasn't a concern to her at the time, and she prob didn't have sufficient time to really address it with an airline rep.  We will both be flying this weekend on Southwest.  I will be sure to see what happens. 

kasey97
Adventurer C

"TSA uses unpredictable security measures, both seen and unseen, throughout the airport," according to TSA. "All travelers will be screened, and no individual is guaranteed expedited screening."

SoCalFlyer97
Aviator C

@kasey97 wrote:

Thank you.  Everything matches exactly.  She has TSA precheck thru her Global Entry status.  It expires in 2028.  Her name is exactly the same in her frequent flyer profile for both airlines, in her reservations for the flites, and in her Global Entry/TSA profile.  She/we fly and travel frequently.  We didn't do anything differently when making these two reservations.  I was not with her during check-in for these flites.  It wasn't a concern to her at the time, and she prob didn't have sufficient time to really address it with an airline rep.  We will both be flying this weekend on Southwest.  I will be sure to see what happens. 

Tks! One more question before we determine that the reason was likely a random Standard Screening by TSA:

Global Entry KTN's change upon full Approval of a Renewal Application. Since hers now expires in 2028, it looks like the membership was either commenced or renewed just this last year in 2023. Were the KTN's for both airlines updated upon the 2023 Global Entry approval? I would log into the CBP TTP website and compare the KTN's. Also doublecheck and ensure her Global Entry status shows the green "Approved" indicator. You can also verify the KTN's by checking her PASSID on the back of her most recent issued land border crossing card.

If this is good, then it's possible that she was randomly selected for Standard Screening that day. If this happens again for this weekend's travel, I would inquire with a SW agent at the airport. If they cannot help you, it's possible that a redress inquiry with TSA may be needed at that point to see if there's any potential name conflicts that is preventing this benefit from showing.

SoCalFlyer97
Aviator C

@SoCalFlyer97 wrote:

@kasey97 wrote:

Tks! One more question before we determine that the reason was likely a random Standard Screening by TSA:

Global Entry KTN's change upon full Approval of a Renewal Application. Since hers now expires in 2028, it looks like the membership was either commenced or renewed just this last year in 2023. Were the KTN's for both airlines updated upon the 2023 Global Entry approval? I would log into the CBP TTP website and compare the KTN's. Also doublecheck and ensure her Global Entry status shows the green "Approved" indicator. You can also verify the KTN's by checking her PASSID on the back of her most recent issued land border crossing card.

If this is good, then it's possible that she was randomly selected for Standard Screening that day. If this happens again for this weekend's travel, I would inquire with a SW agent at the airport. If they cannot help you, it's possible that a redress inquiry with TSA may be needed at that point to see if there's any potential name conflicts that is preventing this benefit from showing.

I forgot to mention that TSA has a form which you can use to determine beyond doubt whether TSA issued a random standard screening for these flights or not. This would be your go-to place to confirm this:

https://www.tsa.gov/contact-center/form/precheck

kasey97
Adventurer C

Her Global Entry commenced in 2022.  And it has not been renewed.  It doesn't expire until 2028.