Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Thanks to Gate Agent at Chicago Midway,

Explorer C

7-2-23

I have been flying Southwest Airlines for over 40 years.

My wife and I want to acknowledge our appreciation to the gate agents in Midway (Chicago) for our return flight from Seattle/Tacoma to Houston Hobby on Saturday night, June 24.   Our flight from Seattle/Tacoma was delayed about an hour leaving Seattle, which at the time we knew would potentially make us late for the Chicago to Houston connection.  Our conversations with the gate agent in Seattle gave us some positive thoughts, since our connecting flight leaving Chicago was running about 30 minutes late based on estimates at that time earlier that day.

When we arrived near end of the B terminal at Midway, the information board told us the flight was boarding, which was a concern. My wife and I are 80 & 79 respectively, but active, so we walked with a purpose the long stretch between terminals.    Upon arrival, we found the door closed and no more passengers were allowed to board.  

The gate agent managing A8 that evening for our flight 2113 from Chicago to Houston was extremely courteous for our dilemma as we arrived at A8 after rushing over from near the end of B terminal.   He explained there was nothing he could do with the airline rules that do not allow the door to be opened once closed.    This was also the last flight to Houston on Saturday, so we were stuck in Chicago.

We immediately asked about hotel reservations and found out no rooms were available in the area, because of other airline problems that day and other normal reservations had filled all the rooms.   We were going to have to sleep on the floor at Midway.    Another 5 people including a family of 4 with young children showed up from the Seattle flight, who were also stranded. 

The agent rebooked all of us the next morning on the 5:30 am. flight to Houston.    We were interested to see Flight 2113 still sitting at the gate for over 30 minutes. During this time, we asked if we could be put on the plane, since it was not moving.   Then the co-pilot came out and was speaking with the gate agent at the door.   There must have been some problem that was keeping the plane at the gate.     

A miracle for all of us.  We were allowed to board the plane. 

So, we want to express our appreciation to the gate agent at A8 and to Southwest Airlines for flexibility that let all 7 of us get home to Houston.   If you can, please let that agent know that he did a great job.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Thanks to Gate Agent at Chicago Midway,

floridaguy
Aviator C

That's a great story!  I really don't know the rules about the door being closed, but I would imagine that if the crew opens the door for a valid reason, then the boarding is possible again.

It could be that the crew knew of the additional travelers and created a valid reason to open the door to have a discussion with the gate agent.

There ya go!  Any way it works!

dfwskier
Aviator A

@1616941 wrote:

So, we want to express our appreciation to the gate agent at A8 and to Southwest Airlines for flexibility that let all 7 of us get home to Houston.   If you can, please let that agent know that he did a great job.

Glad to hear that you made it home on the day you wanted to be home..

You are not talking with SW here. This is a customer to customer forum. The best way to get recognition for SW employees is to contact the airline directly.. You can do tht by clicking on "contact us' (below) and proceeding.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@1616941 wrote:

We immediately asked about hotel reservations and found out no rooms were available in the area, because of other airline problems that day and other normal reservations had filled all the rooms.   We were going to have to sleep on the floor at Midway.    Another 5 people including a family of 4 with young children showed up from the Seattle flight, who were also stranded. 

NASCAR was in town among other events, probably taking up a few of the available rooms.

Glad you were able to get onboard once the opportunity presented itself!

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.