Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Wanna get away guarenteed seats together with a child

tappingmom1
Frequent Flyer B

@floridaguy wrote:

"sit together" issue become a major legal issue for Southwest.   

A major legal issue?  I don't think so.  Simply not true.

floridaguy
Aviator C

There were complaints voiced that people were being held "hostage" until someone changed seats.  Yes, this will become a legal issue.  Detaining people against their will invites legal consequences.

Unless you were on the flight, you did not hear the complaints that came to my ears.

dfwskier
Aviator A

Nobody was detained. The plane was at the gate. The door was open. Anyone that wanted to leave the plane could gave simply stood up and marched out the door.

Of course that would have also fixed the adjoing seat issue/

bballflyer
Adventurer C

You can also purchase early bird check in, it doesn't guarantee that you will get A seats but will automatically check you in 36 hours early vs 24 hours giving you a better chance.  However, if you are flying at a busy time such as spring break it may not be any better than after A group and it isn't refundable if you change your flight.

MizzT74
Explorer C

Thank you for that information.  I'm trying to navigate this blog thing and I was trying to post a message to all of those that responded to mine because I didn't want people to think I was trying to be entitled.  

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@MizzT74 wrote:

That being said I just felt it would make sense to purchase the base price ticket if I were being offered family boarding simply to try and save a little money.  I do not expect to get anything more than what I pay for...

That's exactly the rules and thousands of people do this every day. It isn't entitlement.

@MizzT74 wrote:

And even though they have family boarding the real assurance would just be to purchase business class tickets.  But thank you all for your feedback.  

Business Select will be way overkill for that. Although you would be one of the first 15 positions the cost increase may be 3x the cost of WGA fares.

Consider upgraded boarding, if it is available, on the day of the flight but that's it. The system is designed that regular customers can buy WGA fares and have a very reasonable, if not quite certain chance of sitting with their children.

The only time it doesn't work is if the child is seven or older or if the passengers are late and miss the window for family boarding.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

MizzT74
Explorer C

I think I need to be a little clearer because I in no way would feel entitled to even think of asking any person to move to accommodate myself or my child.  I didn't know that southwest had a family boarding policy as this is my 1st flight with a child.  That being said I just felt it would make sense to purchase the base price ticket if I were being offered family boarding simply to try and save a little money.  I do not expect to get anything more than what I pay for I just want a safe and simple flight with the assurance of being able to fly with my child.  And even though they have family boarding the real assurance would just be to purchase business class tickets.  But thank you all for your feedback.