Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

check in

clicrjo
Explorer C

Last Friday, June 28, 2024 as I'm getting ready to check in to my 8:00 PM flight to RSW from STL for June 29, there was a notice that the flight had been delayed and would now depart at 8:20 PM----being the "rule follower" that I like to think I am; I thought "Oh, then I don't check in until 8:20."    OK, so I know that was a mistake which i realized when i got boarding C20!  Not the issue.... 

So i'm thinking the flight must be full for me to get that low number.   I stewed about it, because I was traveling with a friend and of course we wanted to sit together.... as does everyone, and we figured we would not be able to.   So we realized what we did wrong and decided to "bite the bullet" and pay for "upgrade".....$60.00.  Kinda steep, but it was a late flight and we figured we were worth it.   So as we get to airport, my travel companion went to desk to ask about something totally different, but during the discussion the attendant tells her she can give her boarding number B23!     AND to add insult, there were 40 empty seats on the plane.  We've already paid the $60 and she didn't offer to refund that when she was going to give her the B23 boarding. 

So explain to me if B23 was available, why did we get C boarding.... AND $60 when there are PLENTY of seats available.   Upgrades, I would think, should be based on availability.  If only a few "extra" seats are available, then yes $60, but when there are 40+ seats available, lower that charge!  Now I realize that a certain number of seats might be "saved" for emergencies and people wanting upgrades, but when there are over 40 empty seats...... really COME ON!  Why add insult to injury?

2 REPLIES 2

Re: check in

SoCalFlyer97
Aviator C

@clicrjo wrote:

Last Friday, June 28, 2024 as I'm getting ready to check in to my 8:00 PM flight to RSW from STL for June 29, there was a notice that the flight had been delayed and would now depart at 8:20 PM----being the "rule follower" that I like to think I am; I thought "Oh, then I don't check in until 8:20."    OK, so I know that was a mistake which i realized when i got boarding C20!  Not the issue.... 

So i'm thinking the flight must be full for me to get that low number.   I stewed about it, because I was traveling with a friend and of course we wanted to sit together.... as does everyone, and we figured we would not be able to.   So we realized what we did wrong and decided to "bite the bullet" and pay for "upgrade".....$60.00.  Kinda steep, but it was a late flight and we figured we were worth it.   So as we get to airport, my travel companion went to desk to ask about something totally different, but during the discussion the attendant tells her she can give her boarding number B23!     AND to add insult, there were 40 empty seats on the plane.  We've already paid the $60 and she didn't offer to refund that when she was going to give her the B23 boarding. 

So explain to me if B23 was available, why did we get C boarding.... AND $60 when there are PLENTY of seats available.   Upgrades, I would think, should be based on availability.  If only a few "extra" seats are available, then yes $60, but when there are 40+ seats available, lower that charge!  Now I realize that a certain number of seats might be "saved" for emergencies and people wanting upgrades, but when there are over 40 empty seats...... really COME ON!  Why add insult to injury?

Hola!

As a fellow traveler, sorry to hear you had a troubled experience with the boarding sequence. Regarding the late availability of the B23 slot, it is likely that the person who held that position either changed, cancelled, or upgraded their boarding position sometime before your companion went to the counter. That opened the B23 position up. Once a position opens up, the next person to check-in for the flight gets the position. It looks like the rep found that the B23 slot was open while helping your companion and may have "bumped" her into the vacant B23 slot as a courtesy...not sure though. 

Re: Upgraded Boarding cost, SW released a statement to The Points Guy media outlet on the reasoning of varied cost. Length and popularity of the service are key factors.

Upgraded Boarding is one of Southwest's most popular ancillary products, allowing customers the option to buy an upgraded boarding position in Group A1-A15 (when available). We've shared with our employees that Upgraded Boarding now will be offered in a variable range. Upgraded Boarding price points will work the same as they do today whereby prices can vary based on the length and popularity of each flight. Price points within the new range are subject to change at any time, as they do today. We hope our customers continue to enjoy this product.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/southwest-upgraded-boarding-price-increase/

Hope this helps!

Re: check in

bballflyer
Adventurer C

With the increased flexibility that SW started providing over the last year, that is same day changes and stand by, there are many people who are changing flights the day of the flight.  I believe in order to do a same day change or standby the person has to check in first, thus consuming the boarding positions.  The boarding positions open up once people confirm their same day change or stand by.   So the flight could have been full at the time of your check in but then people switched around.  I personally love the flexibility, but understand the confusion over the seating positions.