Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

pre boarding

rnr1029
Explorer C

So I'm curious to everyone's opinion, I'm a 100% service connected disabled veteran, I have a multitude of disabilities most are not visible with my clothes on. Should i be aloud to pre board?

9 REPLIES 9

Re: pre boarding

SoCalFlyer97
Frequent Flyer A

@rnr1029 wrote:

So I'm curious to everyone's opinion, I'm a 100% service connected disabled veteran, I have a multitude of disabilities most are not visible with my clothes on. Should i be aloud to pre board?

Thank you for your service to our country! Setting all personal opinions aside, here is Southwest's written policy which fall in line with federal law:

• Do passengers with disabilities get to preboard?

• It depends. Some Customers with disabilities are able to preboard at the very beginning of the boarding process prior to general boarding. Preboarding is available for Customers with disabilities who need a specific seat to accommodate a disability, need assistance boarding the aircraft, or need to stow an assistive device.

A Customer Service Agent at the ticket counter or the departure gate can help with this accommodation, and you'll be asked questions to determine if you qualify. You'll receive a new boarding pass marked with PRBD if you qualify, which lets the Operations Agent at boarding know that you can preboard. Remember that you can't occupy an exit seat if you preboard.

• One travel companion may preboard with you. If you feel you need an exception to this, please discuss your needs with a Customer Service Agent at the gate when requesting preboarding.

• If you're preboarding because you need a specific seat, speak with the Operations Agent after getting your new boarding pass but before preboarding starts.

Customers with disabilities who simply need a little extra time to board or otherwise do not qualify for preboarding may board between the "A" and "B" groups, before Family Boarding. A Customer Service Agent at the ticket counter or departure gate can give you a new boarding pass marked with XT, which lets the Operations Agent at boarding know that you can board before Family Boarding.

https://www.southwest.com/help/day-of-travel/boarding-process

With that said, if you believe you qualify, go ahead and make the request to a ticket counter or gate CSA. It doesn't matter what other's think...If you qualify to preboard, you qualify.

rnr1029
Explorer C

So the reason i ask is because 1 of many things, I have rod in my back & extremely bad arthritis now &  Sitting for any long period of time is extremely painful so i need to get up frequently to move around. so i don't need a wheel chair but i'm 6'3 and need a fair amount of room since i'm constantly up & down. Again I'm just curious

SoCalFlyer97
Frequent Flyer A

@rnr1029 wrote:

So the reason i ask is because 1 of many things, I have rod in my back & extremely bad arthritis now &  Sitting for any long period of time is extremely painful so i need to get up frequently to move around. so i don't need a wheel chair but i'm 6'3 and need a fair amount of room since i'm constantly up & down. Again I'm just curious

Sounds like your case would fall under the need for a "specific seat to accommodate a disability"--specifically a seat in the front row where there is extra space. Note that both the personal item and the carry-on bag would be stowed in the overhead bin for the front row since there is no other place to stow the small personal item.

I would make the preboard request to the Ticket Counter or Gate CSA. Sounds like you have a strong case for qualification.

ZevSupport
Frequent Flyer A

Thanks for your service. I'd suggest checking with the gate agent for each flight. you can usually see what's doable there

Community Champion | PHL based | ex-Companion Pass Holder | Southwest Passenger

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@ZevSupport wrote:

Thanks for your service. I'd suggest checking with the gate agent for each flight. you can usually see what's doable there

Definitely check in each time - one thing I've noticed traveling with my mom is that they'll ask for preboarders who can walk down the jet bridge unassisted (or with their one companion) and this group will go first, and may take the front rows if the FA isn't holding one of those seats for you. We didn't end up getting one of those on a recent flight and it caused some issue so I would definitely mention it.

You might be in the ambulatory group as well, so this would probably work but mention it anyway just to be sure, or at least get an aisle seat.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

dfwskier
Aviator A

What others think makes no difference. What do you think?

If you think you need to pre board, then pre board. That is what the law says.

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

@rnr1029 

I want to chime in with my friends in this forum, THANK YOU, for your service.  I don't read posts looking for issues to question someone's post, but I do want to make just a few comments here from you post.

"So the reason i ask is because 1 of many things, I have rod in my back & extremely bad arthritis now &  Sitting for any long period of time is extremely painful so i need to get up frequently to move around."   Unless I'm wrong, it wouldn't matter which flight you're on or seat your in, you're not able to get up and move around unless the captain has announced that this is possible to do so, (taking off the seatbelt light) 

I would agree you might have a solid chance to talk with the ticket agent and get a pre-board ticket, just ask.  

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@floridaguy wrote:

You can preboard.  Don't respond to any types of questions regarding "extra time", just stay silent, then repeat your request to "need to preboard".

On the one hand there is a bunch of complaining about preboarding being excessive, and then on the other hand there is this advice to answer the questions in a specific way that may not be truthful. 

The agent has a limited amount of ability to try and put people in the different categories and while they cannot ask anything directly about someone's heath or disabilities they can ask what accommodation the person is requesting. Encouraging people to answer this question in a certain way regardless of their actual needs is troubling.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

kierants
Explorer B

Only if you absolutely need it (not want it)