Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Holding the plane

dfwskier
Aviator A

@floridaguy wrote:

We don't agree but that's okay.  Just because you can make up time in flight doesn't excuse the holding of the flight for five people.

You could have left on time and still reduced time in flight - no excuses.

The policy applies to everyone equally.  Now, if an entire flight is delayed and impacts a certain percentage of the passengers, then I understand the delays.  

But that is apparently what happened to the OP -- remember his family were passengers on another flight. If that "entire flight" is not delayed, then hix family makes the flight - no need for a hold...

cheyenneallgood
Employee
Employee

Hey there! 

At this point it does not appear the thread is achieving a solution for the OP. Please, per our Community User Guidelines, remain relevant to the topic and use your best judgement when responding. 

Thanks,

Cheyenne

Lisamarie1369
Explorer C

The arrival time for the delayed flight was 4:15 compared to the 3:25 pm planned arrival time. I will contact SW customer satisfaction team when I return home for resolution to this debacle.

floridaguy
Aviator C

I'm in total agreement with you Lisamarie.  It is time for Southwest to follow the rules and stop inconveniencing the majority for the convenience of the few.

Holding the entire plane for five people is nonsense.  If you need assistance constructing a letter, let me know.  I'll be of assistance.

PettyIntrigues
Adventurer A

50 minutes late, no need to use the word “debacle” here. Come on, let’s get a grip. Since it wasn’t weather-related, you should indeed be due a small voucher. Just call and politely (key word), say, hey, this was an imposition on me and my family based on SWA operations decision, is there the possibility of some recompense here? and I bet you’ll be offered something reasonable for your…50 minutes.

YeahNoMaybe
Adventurer A

In my experiences traveling on many airlines - the decision to hold a flight is not made by the pilot or anyone at the local level.  The decision to hold a flight is usually made by someone in a department at the airline's main offices.  

That person or department has access to ALL of the data in regards to holding a flight...

How late will the flight now arrive? 
Can the flight make up any time en route?
How late will that make the aircraft's next departure?  
Is this the last connection of the night?
How many people are they waiting for?
If it is not the last flight... can the passengers who miss the connection be accommodated on the next flight or is it full?
Will holding this flight cause passengers on the next flight operated by this aircraft to miss their connections later in the day?
Will holding the flight make the flight crew go over their duty hours?
What is this crew scheduled to do later in the day and how will a delay impact that?

There are numerous factors to take into account when an airline decides to hold a flight - many of which the pilot and/or local airport staff do not have the ability to thoroughly analyze on their own.

This is why the decision to hold a flight is often made by someone not even in the same same city where the flight is being held at and why a flight may be held in one instance but not another.

I hope this provides some insight.

floridaguy
Aviator C

I would have to argue that all of what you mentioned is completely irrelevant in the OP's case.

You had 140+ people inconvenienced to convenience five people.  Unacceptable.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@floridaguy wrote:

I would have to argue that all of what you mentioned is completely irrelevant in the OP's case.

You had 140+ people inconvenienced to convenience five people.  Unacceptable.

The plane arrived 50 minutes late.

Oh, the horror, that's Titanic level -- it's even worse than the holiday disaster

ROTFLMBFAO

floridaguy
Aviator C

We may not agree and that's okay.  I support the OP 100%.